FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mastering SD Footage for Broadcast & Archive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Clauson
Mastering SD Footage for Broadcast & Archive
on Apr 20, 2010 at 1:57:21 pm

Hello all!

I am getting my feet wet with broadcast for the first time so I am still learning my way around the codecs and what not.

What has been more or less the adopted defacto standard for archiving SD footage and for laying it off onto tape (MiniDV in this case) for broadcast. I have the tone bars, slate and SMPTE countdown so all is well in that regard, I just need some education on what the best way to archive/master. :-)

Thanks so much in advance all!

Running Final Cut Studio 3 on an iMac with a SONY HVR-M15U HDV Deck. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Mastering SD Footage for Broadcast & Archive
on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:05:42 pm

DigiBeta would still be considered the gold standard for SD archiving to tape.

However, do keep in mind that the DV codec ravages text and graphics, so after your edit is completed, you should always go into Sequence>>Settings and change the compressor to ProRes, then re-render the sequence. This will render using the ProRes codec rather than the DV codec, leaving your text and graphics pristine. Then, when outputting that to Digibeta you will have a vastly superior master.

Keep mind, the video itself is not improved using the technique above, only text and graphics. But, the differece is very dramatic.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]