FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon D7 exporting from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Longchamps
Canon D7 exporting from FCP
on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:27:36 pm

Hello. I have a client who has shot a feature on the canon d7. Here is our workflow. They downrezed the footage for offline in FCP. They will then relink to the original camera files and export a quicktime from FCP and we are going to color correct/effects in our smoke system. The issue we are having is the gamma 1.8 vs 2.2 issue and here is my question. How should I set up the hi-rez timeline and what type of file should I create to ensure that there is no gamma shift when I import into the Smoke? I have created a 1920x1080 timeline using the HDTV 1080i preset with square pixels. The compression is uncompressed 8 bit 422 and the timeline is set to render in 8 bit YUV. Does this sound correct? thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Canon D7 exporting from FCP
on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:38:39 pm

Hi Mark,
I do not understand that workflow.
First, don't see the point of off-lining when you are working with less than 50 Mbps stuff.
Also H264 is a format that shouldn't be brought to FC.
Transcoding the stuff from the beginning to Prores is the best way to go.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Longchamps
on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:51:06 pm

Isn't pro rez a compressed format? I am not a FCP guy so I am not that familiar with it. I don't want to take a compressed format (mov) and then compress it again in Pro Rez. What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 13, 2010 at 3:07:06 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes Prores is compressed, but with the kind of compression its uses and his 10b, is the codec of choice.
You can consider it basically as Uncompress. You will work in 10b (use render in HIgh Precision) with files 1/3 in size comparing with 8b Unc.
Thats the pro workflow for the DSRL stuff in FC.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Longchamps
on Apr 13, 2010 at 4:28:39 pm

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]