FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to Quicktime - Audio out of sync!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Collins
Export to Quicktime - Audio out of sync!
on Apr 13, 2010 at 4:22:38 am

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2 hour long project in Final Cut that I need to export to DVD. I'm looking for the best possible quality. First I exported to compressor, used the DVD presents in there, then took it to DVD Studio Pro, but the quality was poor. So I begin searching online and most people suggest exporting to Quicktime movie first, then take it to compressor.

So I exported both as a self-contained file and not, but both times the audio would slowly fall out of sync. I've seen lots of people with the same problem, but no one definitive answer. Anyone have a good solution? Also, if anyone knows the best way to achieve the best possible quality DVD please offer insight! Thanks in advance!

Project is HDV 1080p24, 1920x1080, 23.98fps

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Export to Quicktime - Audio out of sync!
on Apr 13, 2010 at 5:34:14 pm

If you're viewing a 2-hour full res HD file in Quicktime player you're going to find quickly it can't be trusted to play in RT, and sync is probably an issue too. Have you tried bringing your self contained file back into FCP and playing back in the app?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Collins
on Apr 13, 2010 at 5:44:20 pm

Yes I have and it is the same sync issue unfortunately.

I even exported just the audio to an .aiff file and that goes long too, by about 15 seconds. Does that mean there must be some sort of setting with the audio?

Also to note, when I exported through compressor, it all synced up perfectly, but like I mentioned, the quality of the export was horrible.

Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:35:46 pm

Sounds as if you need to try trashing preferences, and fixing permissions.

If you don't know those just do a search and you'll see both explained about a zillion times.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:44:31 pm

Also try a mixdown audio: Sequence Menu > Render Only > Mixdown. What's the sample rate of your audio 44.1kHz or 48kHz?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Collins
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:59:51 pm

Thank you guys for the response. I will attempt these.

I did however export using Quicktime Compression and changed the Audio settings and the resulting file had great quality (it was a little lighter than just direct Export Quicktime movie for some reason) and the audio was synced properly. However, I then brought it into Compressor to cut it down from 22GB, so that I may fit it on a DVD. I used the DVD 120 minutes preset, but had to change the data rate down to 4.5 mbps so the file could fit on a DVD at 4.5GB (I had to lower the data rate because simply using the default setting create a file JUST too large to burn). My problem is the quality severely suffered upon output of compressor.

Reading up on it, I believe I am using the recommended workflow. From FCP > Export to Quicktime File > Using Compressor, export as DVD > Use DVD Studio Pro to burn DVD.

Any ideas why I am getting such a huge loss of quality after exporting out of Compressor and/or what to do to achieve the best possible quality. Thanks again, I greatly appreciate it!

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Collins
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:17:11 am

Hello,
Sorry for the delay, I've been caught up with stuff and playing with these problems. Anyways, I trashed all preferences and fixed permissions, but I got the same out of sync problem. The sample rate of my audio is 48kHz.

Would this be some sort of an audio setting that is causing this. When I export using Quicktime Compressor, and change the audio setting, the audio will export in sync. Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:33:31 am

[Jeremy Collins] "When I export using Quicktime Compressor, and change the audio setting, the audio will export in sync."

Change the audio setting to what? We're not mind-readers here Jeremy.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

devon leesley
on Sep 20, 2010 at 3:56:16 am

Not sure if my problem is the same here. All is in perfect sinc on the time line. When I send it to Quick Time Movie then to iDVD and burn to a dvd, the audio goes out of sinc about 3 quarters of the way into the 2 hour movie. Help. I have placed this cry for help in 2 other places but haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks for any guidance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]