FORUMS: list search recent posts

configuring a portable FCP field editing system; suggestions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
configuring a portable FCP field editing system; suggestions?
on Apr 10, 2010 at 11:35:22 pm

We're looking at making a portable field editing system for editing simple VSOTs in the field. Shooting DVCPro25 but also possibly DVCProHD sometimes. Assume cameras and decks are already supplied; for under ten grand or better, under seven, how would you put a system together? I was thinking twin intel-powered mac laptop and Matrox MXO2 as my in/out, but what else? Got an external RAID in mind that would work well? What are the typical "gotchas"?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: configuring a portable FCP field editing system; suggestions?
on Apr 11, 2010 at 7:13:22 am

Get the MXO2 LE. Cheaper due to less higher end audio options, like AES. Smaller too. And because of this you are limited to firewire drives, but the Caldigit VR is good...albiet spendy. Look at G-Raids. My portable setup is the MacBook Pro, MXO2 (that I grab from my tower), and my Caldigit VR. Just add a broadcast monitor...or decent HDTV (HDMI out of the MXO2 is calibratable) and I'd be set!

Gotchas? No ProRes 1080i (or P) officially supported by Matrox. 720p only. Because the MXO2 doesn't do the ProRes conversion like the AJA IO HD does, it lets the computer do the lifting (thus the cost difference) I can capture 1080i on my laptop, but it isn't 100%. Sometimes I get a full half hour, sometimes it drops frames after a few minutes. Thus why it isn't supported.

IOHD is rock solid...but you can't use it with COLOR when dealing with HD. Still, the IOHD, Laptop and drive will run you under $10K. But with the MXO2 you can throw in a good HDTV...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 11, 2010 at 3:37:34 pm

What about the AJA Ki Pro? It's probably more expensive, but will accept almost any kind of camera input. I believe it only records to ProRes.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:42:01 am

Sorry if I don't see well the situation, but If you can capture all your stuff by FW, why do you need the Matrox for?
Unless you want to make CC, I don't see the need of extra hardware, and for monitoring I think that there are cheaper solutions than an ioHD or so.
The Ki-Pro is great if you record directly from camera (only Prores), but for any other purpose I think is a very expensive solution.
I have a Caldigit RAID that is great, but for the field I use two LaCie Little Big Disk.
They are RAID 0, buss powered in FW and you can put them in your pocket.
Happy Lao New year my friends,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:13:22 pm

Sabidee Pimai, Rafael.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:42:12 pm

John,
What a surprise.
That's real lao!!
Sok dee (good luck) Pii Mai.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Pleas have a look to my clip:
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/4452
Feedback welcomed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>