FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting rid of black bars in final footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Dedoes
Getting rid of black bars in final footage
on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:00:19 am

I want to preface this with the not that I am still learning Final Cut pro and videography. I have only filmed and edited a handful of projects up to this point. I am working on Project A, which was filmed with two cameras both in SD. One camera is a Canon XHA1 and the other is an older 3 chip Panasonic. (I don't have either camera in my possession right now and this project was filmed and edited back in September so I cannot remember the exact capture and film settings I used. When I exported this project, I did not think too much of the black bars that were on the top and bottom. I was able to get the project to look good despite the black bars on a TV.

Now I have also worked with Project B, which was filmed only on the Canon XHA1. There were never any black bars on this project and I was also able to play around with the aspect ratios to make this project look good on my TV. I didn't realize that there weren't any black bars.

Now I am trying to add this projects as samples for my portfolio but they look terrible when shown one after the other because of the black bars. I cannot get the aspect ratios to look correct and for the projects to be the same. I have looked at the formats in the properties for the captured footage and everything seems the same for both projects. I am wondering if there was a setting that I changed when i filmed it, but wouldn't the formats show up differently in the viewer or in properties for the captured footage? I have been searching for the solution for hours.

I apologize for being such a beginner, but would be extremely grateful for any help and can send over whatever settings I have.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Dedoes

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Getting rid of black bars in final footage
on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:00:49 am

Hi Scott,
I guess you are dropping 16x9 stuff in a 4x3 sequence, then you get these bars on to p and down.
Open the Sequence setting and check "Anamorphic".
Then select the footage and "Remove Attributes> Distortion".
The black bars should disappear.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Scott Dedoes
on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:10:25 am

I think I finally figured everything out after hours of scouring. I believe I filmed some of the footage incorrectly with the Panasonic camera and it was putting the letterbox on. I increased the scale by 33% for everything and it has removed the bars.

Thank you so much for the reply. I am slowly learning the terminology and techniques of videography, thanks to help from people like you. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 10, 2010 at 11:27:58 am

Hi Scott,
If the camera shoot letter-boxed (I had no idea),
just drop the clips in an Anamorphic sequence.
The bars will be cropped without need of blowing the picture up.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]