FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Alpha

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randy johnson
Exporting Alpha
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:41:55 pm

I have created several sequences of subtitles in FCP averaging 13 minutes.
Each sequence is just text. White text on what I need to be an alpha background.
I am going to be layering the exported files into an old Dataton Watchout project. So I need the alpha to show up with out any compositing functions like multiply.

Now the issue is file size. I keep getting these 2 gb files and that is just no good. I have managed once to get a 60mb version that worked great but I have been unable to recreate those settings.
I have tried several settings through export QT movie, Compressor, and QT conversion.
The only difference I can see between the small file I exported and the other 15 is that the total bit rate is around 500 and in the big files its at 19000.... both of these exports have the Animation codec set to least on the quality and millions of colors+.

Thanks for your time,
Randy

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Exporting Alpha
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:25:44 pm

The 2G files sound as if you're exported to a drive that is not formatted as Mac OS Extended but in DOS.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

randy johnson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:41:25 pm

All my hard drives are Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
It is in a raid set up to mirror another that is also Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
How does that effect my files if it was DOS?
I have tried an export to my system drive since reading your post and got a different file size again 1.66gb where the previous was 1.99gb....

/Randy

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:54:07 pm

FAT32 has a file size limit and export files get broken into sections. At least that's the usual behavior. It would rally help to know what format exactly you're exported, frame size, frame rate. 1.6 and 1.9G sound pretty low, though Animation is a run time codec and will vary considerably based on content.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

randy johnson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:05:03 pm

I have tried several formats all consisting of QT animation.
I am looking at 1080 25p but the only content is the FCP created text.
I have been playing around with my sequence settings as well as my export settings trying to get different results. Since its only text and alpha. The text is edited with straight cuts and is static on screen so low quality settings don't really change the image... that I can see anyway.
I have attached the scene so you can see what I am I refering too.
685_compressionhelp.fcp.zip

Thanks
Randy

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:27:20 pm

1080 is a pretty big frame. Animation is a high data rate codec. I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. What's happening and what do you expect to happen?

What the text block on V3 doing?

My export is 2.57G.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

randy johnson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:58:09 pm

The problem is file size. The watch out system will not play back at the correct speed with these files and alpha is a must.

The V3 line is there because if I export V1 and V2 the alpha is not recognized in Watchout and everything goes black, then when there is text the alpha returns and I see my first layer of video again.

The strange thing is that I got this sequence (with no changes) exported as QT animation with alpha at 57.7mb yesterday but cannot repeat that.

/Randy

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:03:41 pm

Sorry, I can't help you. The file is going to be large. There is no way an Animation file can be that small for 13 minutes of media. Animation is really an intermediate codec; they are very difficult files to play back and need a fast RAID and a fast computer for proper playback.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

randy johnson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:10:06 pm

thanks anyway

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]