FORUMS: list search recent posts

Professional opinion needed...Thanks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dance
Professional opinion needed...Thanks
on Apr 3, 2010 at 5:45:45 pm

Hi, I just want to know if this configuration will play well together. My Computer is a 2009 Mac-Pro quad core 3.0 ghz W/ 4 gigs of ram..I am using FCP-7....I have 2- 23 inch monitors. My graphics card is a NVIDEA GeForce 8800 GT. I want to add a Black Magic DeckLink Studio card and a Samsung T240HD monitor to it. The camera I am going to be using is a Sony HVR_Z7U. Will all these things work together or am I missing anything?...I have researched this exhaustively and this is the best combination I can come up with as far as video capture editing and playback for my budget. Thanks for your input in advance. Mark Dance

Are we done yet....??

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Re: Professional opinion needed...Thanks
on Apr 3, 2010 at 6:44:50 pm

Mark,

I don't think the Samsung monitor is a good choice for several reasons.

a) It's no longer available

b) It has HDMI inputs only, no component, no SDI, no composite

c) It gets bad ratings on color performance

I think you'd be spending your money more wisely to get a 42" Panasonic Pro 720p model for $789 (see it at the link below) than to waste $300+ on a toy like that Samsung. The Pany Pro does not have HDMI inputs, but you can add a dual HDMI card for just $155 if that's really meaningful to you. Also, do keep in mind that the Pany Pro requires either a stand ($159) or a wall mount ($90 - 120).

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?VA=Panasonic&chPartNumb...

Also, keep in mind, the Decklink Studio card does not come with the breakout cable, which is an additional $118. Meanwhile, the Kona LHi is available for just $1250 and is a much better card in my opinion with considerably more capabilities, as well as HDMI, SDI, and component I/O, and it does come with the breakout cable.

I understand that the hardware I'm referencing is not as inexpensive as the gear you mentioned, but as I'm sure you know, while the cost of building a professional editing suite is considerably less expensive now than ever before, it still takes some dough to do it right.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Dance
on Apr 4, 2010 at 3:13:33 am

Thanks David...the info is very much appreciated. I'm more concerned about quality than price so the options you gave me will definitely be worth checking out. I was a little surprised by your choice of a 42" monitor though...as proper viewing distance would be about 6 feet minimum..correct..?? I have the room for it..so 42" would be fine...just seems a little big..!! Mark

Are we done yet....??

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 4, 2010 at 3:32:20 am

[Mark Dance] "I was a little surprised by your choice of a 42" monitor though"

They stopped making the 37" monitors, so 42" is the smallest choice Pany offers in plasmas. Their 1080p model is about twice the price BTW, but it may be worthwhile considering.

[Mark Dance] "proper viewing distance would be about 6 feet minimum..correct..??"

They say that 3X the screen height equals the perfect viewing height, so between 5 and 6 feet is good. I have the 2006 version of that same monitor, and it's great.

BTW, take the time to calibrate it and try to get it as close as you can to an SD broadcast monitor that you know, and try to get the Pany displaying color bars, skin tone, and other colors you know, and you'll be able to rely on it for color correction for things that aren't mission critical.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Dance
on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:08:21 pm

David, I will take your advice and order the kona card and Pany. Have you ordered from the site that you gave me the link to for the pany...?? they look trustworthy, but looks can be decieving..!! one can't be too careful these days...!! thanks once again for steering me in the right direction. Mark

Are we done yet....??

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:50:36 pm

Yes Mark, Visual Apex is a terrific outfit. Many here on the Cow, myself included, have used them in the past for the Pany Pros. If you call them, speak with Alice and tell her I recommended them to you. Alice and all her people are very personable and they have the best prices too.

BTW, you might try SafeHarbor for your Kona card. They are often $200 to $300 cheaper than the rest. That's where I got the price I mentioned to you the other day.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]