FORUMS: list search recent posts

constantly re-rendering .mov

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tisha Carper Long
constantly re-rendering .mov
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:31:20 am

I've made a couple of videos from captured DV tapes. Now I'd like to add a QuickTime segment to a video.

When I put the .mov into the timeline, it's not rendered.

I can render it, but if I move it, it has to be rendered again (and again...). It's a pain.

I must be missing something obvious. Suggestions?

Tisha

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: constantly re-rendering .mov
on Mar 31, 2010 at 5:26:23 am

What you have described is almost always indicative of a sequence settings that do not match your media. May I suggest that you study the brief tutorial below and commit it to memory. If you start every project exactly as the tutorial recommends you will never have issue you're having now.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/realtime_sequences....

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tisha Carper Long
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13:34 pm

David, this was very helpful, thank you. Follow-up question --

The tutorial suggests discarding the existing sequence and starting fresh. However, this sequence represents a half-day's work, editing a half-hour interview down to 3 minutes. I could probably re-edit it faster since I know the exact clips I want, but still, I'd prefer to match my sequence with these QT clips without starting fresh.

Ideas or url reference for me to follow?

Very best, Tisha

Tisha

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:11:21 pm

Tisha,

1) Open a new sequence, get it started properly with correct sequence settings with just one clip.

2) Select and copy all of your edits from the improper sequence, then paste them into the new sequence.

3) If they appear to be distorted, select all of the clips you just pasted in, then right click and choose Remove Attributes, check the Distort checkbox, then hit OK.

That will do the trick...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tisha Carper Long
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:26:49 pm

Hi David,

Two things I'm concerned about. First, I don't see the QT parameters listed in the FCP "Easy Setup." That is, QT is listed:

29.97 fps (same as my sequence, fortunately)
816 x 480 frame size (sequence is 720x480)
MPEG-4 video compression (sequence is DV/DVCPRO-NTSC)

Also:
180.6K/sec data rate (sequence is 3.6 MB/sec -- big difference! -- a problem??)
'square' px aspect (sequence is NTSC-CCIR 601)

In "Easy Setup," neither the HD nor NTSC formats give me anything near these options, so I'm not sure how to match them up.

My second concern is that while I have a cluster of similar QT videos to add to my sequence -- although the frame size varies dramatically among them -- I will soon be receiving new QT video to add in, and I doubt that these parameters will be the same.

Therefore it seems wrong to change my original sequence settings (if I could) to the QT settings, if I have to re-set the whole thing when new QT arrives.

Does that make sense?

Context: My original video is an interview with an artist, captured from a mini-DV tape. The QT vids are of his [kinetic] artwork.

Best, Tisha

Tisha

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:47:32 pm

Tisha,

I fear you're in a bit over your head...

It appears that you're trying to edit MPEG4 files, most likely from a Flip Cam or some other small camera. MPEG4 is not an editing format that FCP works with as a realtime editing format. Those files need to be transcoded to an editing format such as DV, to match your interview from mini-DV tape.

However, DV has some issues as well that could be very detrimental to the artwork you mentioned, because of the huge compression it adds to text and graphics. If you tell me the final destination of this project, ie. Web, broadcast, DVD, etc. that will help me to better steer you in the right direction.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Tisha Carper Long
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:58:01 pm

Over my head? Moi?

The MPEG-4 is the format of the QT videos of the artwork -- the only editing I want to do with those is to snip a clip from them, because otherwise they're too long.

The artwork shown on these QTs is made of LED light displays, and many are as large as portions of buildings (think outdoor light shows), so high-level detail may not be a problem.

The output will be the museum's YouTube site, although I can imagine someone saying, "Oh, that's so great, we should repurpose it for _________."

Best, Tisha

Tisha

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 31, 2010 at 5:28:21 pm

There really is a right and a wrong way for all this stuff, and the right way requires some extra knowledge, some extra work, and some extra time.

The way you're working now might just get you to the finish line, but you will have to render constantly and you material will get hammered with DV compression.

I guess I'd advise you to just forge ahead, but before you output, do the following:

1) duplicate the sequence

2) open the new sequence

3) Go to Sequence>>Settings and change the compressor to DV50.

4) Re-render the entire sequence.

This will render your artwork in 4:2:2 color space instead of the 4:1:1 color space of DV, and it will keep your art from getting hammered with compression. Of course, YouTube compression will hammer it, but at least it won't be hammered twice.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Tisha Carper Long
on Mar 31, 2010 at 5:35:48 pm

Thanks for your help, David! I'll do as you suggest before outputting. Very best, Tisha

Tisha

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:14:10 pm

Good luck Tisha. Hope your project is a success.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]