FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing footage from Canon VIXIA HV40?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Timmons
Importing footage from Canon VIXIA HV40?
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:50:11 pm

Can someone talk me through importing footage from a Canon VIXIA HV40 into FCP7?

From the camera, I'm using a DV to Firewire 400 cable with a Firewire 800 adapter (because my mac doesn't have any FW400 ports and this is what B&H recommended).

However, I can't seem to figure out what settings I need to make Log and Capture recognize the camera.

Thanks,
Lauren Timmons

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Importing footage from Canon VIXIA HV40?
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:24:22 pm

You should use an HDV preset that matches your media. However I've heard a lot of reports of Canon users not being able to work with these 800-400 adapter cables. You might want to try googling it.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
on Mar 27, 2010 at 1:43:27 am

Same question but with a HV30 and FCP 7.

Just bought a Firewire 400 cable to Firewire 800 cable, but don't have access to the work station right now. If that cable doesn't work, does that mean I'm out of luck as far as capturing directly into FCP goes?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:06:51 am

Depends on the computer. There may other options.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Steve Tanguy
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:40:25 am

no hv30 will work fine with final cut it's just gettng the settings right

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Steve Tanguy
on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:23:08 pm

I had an issue with my hv40 as well. It took me about 10 hours to finally figure it out. It all has to do with the settings. It seems if one is off then Final Cut wont recognize your camera but after getting it all worked out it works like a charm. before you plug the fire wire into your camera turn the camera on and put it in camera mode and set it like you want to record in HDV then turn your camera to play back mode. Again this is with out the firewire plugged into the camera otherwise you cant get into this next setting. With the camera in playback mode go into the menu and go down to the play out setup2 (third one down)
Make sure DV OUTPUT is set to HDV/DV now close the menu. Now plug the fire wire into camera and into your computer. Now launch Final Cut. Go to Easy Setup and change the format to HDV and the Rate to 29.97 Dont worry about the frame rate at this point. The Use box should say Custom Setup. Now click setup. Now go to Audio/Video Settings. Set your Sequence Preset to Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60.
Set your Capture Preset to HDV. Set your Device Control Preset to HDV FireWire. click OK. try log and capture now. The only thing that may be different is your device control preset since youre using a different fireWire. Give it a shot and let me know.

Return to posts index

thomas medina
on Apr 4, 2010 at 5:44:21 am

Steve,

Thank You!!!! It has been extremely hard and frustrating in trying to find any information about how to do this.

I followed your instructions which made it super easy. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and posting this information.

Return to posts index

Emily Thwaites
on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:12:13 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting that information. I followed this and have a question. My footage is now in FCP. In the browser columns I notice that the Frame Size is 1440x1080, the Compressor is HDV 1080i60, and the Vid Rate is 29.97.
Why is the Vid Rate 29.97? I shot this footage in 24.

Also what are the pros/cons in bringing this footage in in HDV vs Pro Res HQ?

Thanks!

Emily

Return to posts index

Steve Tanguy
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:54:50 am

Hi Emily, the posting I did was to get the hv40 recognized by final cut. Try changing the vid rate in easy setup before capturing and see if that works. I know someone else was asking the same thing. I havent gotten into that situation yet. I hope it works for you. If I find anything else out I'll post. Thanks
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Tanguy
on Apr 24, 2010 at 7:13:03 pm

I believe pro res would be way to big of a file and would take up a lot more space and it's not necessary.

Return to posts index

Patricia Snyder
on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:59:38 am

Steve, I followed your instructions. I just got the camera and thanks to you, was able to import the footage. However, the scale is totally wrong...huge!

Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ryan Munevar
on Jul 25, 2010 at 10:50:29 pm

Thanks man!

Return to posts index

John Ranta
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:06:05 pm

I just want to say "thank you" for the 10 hours you spent figuring this out, and your detailed explanation! It worked like a champ. JR

Return to posts index

Su Goldfish
on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:28:11 am

You are a life saver. Instead of 10 hours that only took 1hr because I was lucky enough to find your post...

Return to posts index

James Gritz
on May 28, 2011 at 6:24:19 pm

followed you instruction once and they worked. now I can't seem to get them to work again. i am trying to import footage that was shot in 24p with a Panasonic AG 100 pre HD and keep getting the message

Capture was aborted due to lack of incoming data from device. Check your connections and that the deck is playing.

I can control the camera from FCP so it must be seeing it. any ideas?

James

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 28, 2011 at 6:40:16 pm

Please give your full system specifications, what computer, what drives, what camera or deck, how everything's connected, what settings are on the media, what settings you're using in Final Cut, and finally what version of the software, of the OS, and of QuickTime you are using.

Your camera doesn't shoot 24fps. It shoots 24 with pulldown added recorded at 29.97.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Gritz
on May 28, 2011 at 6:48:46 pm

Mac OS X 2.66GHz Inter Core 2 DUO mac book pro
Canon Vixio HV40
final cut pro 7.03

Just bringing them directly into the hard drive on the computer but I have a Lacie 1TB attached as the scratch disk

I followed you instructions literally. Maybe the problem is the original footage not being shot in HD but in 24 p, but it worked once when I followed your instruction. Right now it seems to be capturing ok Premier Pro. I'm not really familiar with this program but maybe I can use it as a work around and save the files some way and bring them into FCP. I'm pretty new to FCP also.
Quick time version 10.0

Thanks for your quick response. let me know if you need more info.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 28, 2011 at 7:35:50 pm

What are the exact specs of the media you shot? You have to use settings that match that.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

maxi wille
Canon VIXIA HV40 Hd problem
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:45:16 pm

HI ToM !! maybe you can help me. using standard resolution no problem, but when i change to HD my mac book pro stops seeing it. Im using the Isadora software. any ideas? is it a codec problem or compression type mixed with something else?
thanks a lot
maxi

Return to posts index

Ankit Dogra
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:30:39 am

I went through these steps and still not working for me. Can anyone guide me as to what I should do next? The footage I recorded was in HDV.

This is the error I keep getting:

Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly. You may still log offline clips.

This might also happen if you play DV footage in an HDV device.

Ankit

Return to posts index

Ben Emmans
on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:53:09 am

I don't have a mac os, and final cut pro is for mac os.
Another problem... I simply can't get the videos onto my computer no matter how hard I try. I bought a firewire 1394 ieee but I am not getting any results. I plug it into my computer but nothing shows on my computer. I have been having my camera for 1year and I haven't had the chance to get videos off of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]