FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scale HD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Olshanski
Scale HD footage
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:18:15 pm

How big can I safely make HD footage using Scale in the Motion tab?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Scale HD footage
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:36:41 pm

Safely make it from what?

It sure helps us to help you Lisa if you provide this important info. Imagine if you tried to answer thousands of questions and each time you had to ask for more info. It can get a bit frustrating for us. Okay?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:54:03 pm

Sorry. Safe to air on network television in HD. Without looking soft.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:00:11 pm

Lisa,

You still have not said what your source material is.

Are you asking about scaling SD material up to HD size? If so, you haven't once mentioned anything about starting with SD video.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:11:41 pm

I'm not starting with SD video. I have HD footage and I'm finishing HD. My footage is XDCam EX 24p and I'm delivering DVCPro 1080i60. My client wants to make a medium shot into a close up and I was just wondering if this is okay to do. My gut says no.I just want to know how much I can scale the clip up in Scale. To 125? 150? 175?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:31:26 pm

Aha!!! Much better... Now I can help you.

The answer all depends on precisely what shots are immediately cut in next to the scaled shots. If you cutting directly to or from a non-scaled shot of the same footage the scaled material will look much worse than if cutting to a cutaway.

Scaling 125% is not that big a deal, and hardly noticeable, but things will definitely start getting softer as you scale up from there.

Give it a shot and see with your own eyes. Do you have I/O device to display to a real video monitor?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:50:14 pm

Thanks so much. All I have is a computer monitor right now. What do you recommend I get? I was thinking of getting this monitor....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00213QXFA/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AKJJ...

I don't have a very big budget. I work from home.

Thanks for any advice you could offer.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:23:01 pm

Many people do like the Samsungs. They sell them at Costco too, so check out their prices if you have one nearby.

Keep in mind Lisa, a computer monitor and a "video" monitor are very different devices. Computer monitors will not reveal interlace issues and also can't be trusted for color correction of video going to broadcast.

I understand that money is tight, but if you're a paid professional, you absolutely need a video I/O (input/output) device such as a Kona, Blackmagic, or Matrox to feed a true video monitor or TV so that you really know what you've got on your timeline.

A 42" Panasonic Pro plasma monitor can be bought for about $900 to $1000, and even though it's not a true professional broadcast monitor with 100% accurate color rendition, it will at least allow you to monitor video properly so that you are not fooled into thinking that you have fields and frames of interlaced and non-interlaced video working correctly when you don't, as is liable to happen with a computer monitor.

An I/O device to feed the monitor will cost you another $1000 at the very least, but once you have those you will have what you really need to ensure your paying clients are getting proper video.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:40:45 pm

Excuse my ignorance as engineers have done this all for me in the past. This is probably a dumb question. Why do I need an I/O device? Can't I just hook up a TV to my computer?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:49:59 pm

[Lisa Olshanski] "Can't I just hook up a TV to my computer?"

Nope!!! The so-called video card in your computer is a misnomer, it is actually properly referred to as a computer display card, outputting an entirely different type of signal from what we video engineers refer to as a "true video signal."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:51:47 am

Thank you. I appreciate your insight.

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Mar 29, 2010 at 1:26:00 pm

Just read the thread...

David, why such a huge TV? Wouldn't the smaller 23" (or whatever) be fine, and it would more likely easily fit into anyone's editing station, but a huge 42" would require a complete rearrangement of the room! :)

Also, we are exporting HD projects, as well as SD. We have the Kona LHi and I'm wondering if it would be wise to have both a good HD external monitor, as well as a good SD ext monitor. Obviously, so that our HD projects could be viewed on an HD monitor, and SD on SD monitor.

I have no technical or knowledgeable reason to think that, it just kind of makes sense that way in my head. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Adam Keyes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]