FORUMS: list search recent posts

cross dissolve using deleted footage or not working at all

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Heiser
cross dissolve using deleted footage or not working at all
on Mar 25, 2010 at 9:49:58 pm

I've been struggling for a few days with a Cross Dissolve problem, so I did a few tests with the following results:

Test 1 - cut clip with blade (clip has 4 seconds before cut and 4 seconds after); did not delete anything, added cross dissolve, rendered.
Cross dissolve is not working at all - it looks just like the original clip
Rendered it twice because I couldn't believe it.

Test 2 - cut clip with blade in two places, deleted 1 second, leaving 3 seconds before cut and 4 seconds after; Added cross dissolve - the part that was DELETED is showing in the cross dissolve. I've rendered this and others several times because I thought I was crazy.

Test 3 - cut clip ahead of where I wanted it to end in case the cross dissolve was using the deleted "handle" ***- (so if it used the deleted part, it would be the part I wanted to end up in the cross dissolve). This left 1 second before the cut and 4 seconds after. The cross dissolve was .5 second on each side. But after rendering, the audio stops where the clip was cut and the deleted video still shows in the cross dissolve (and it seems to be the last second of the deleted section, not the next section!). Can this get weirder?

I was not having problems before with cross dissolve, but I don't remember if I used clips with deleted parts before. I hope my descriptions make sense - it sounds unbelievable to me, but hopefully you're familiar with this. Thanks for any help!

*** as explained in graphic in answer #1 on page:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/fcp_faq.php

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: cross dissolve using deleted footage or not working at all
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:25:43 am

Test 1...because you didn't overlap the clips like I show in my graphic, thats why you don't see any change. You are dissolving a clip into itself. Even if it is on a cut, that dissolve will be invisible.

Test 2. Of course it will show. When you add a dissolve, the dissolve reached INTO the area you cut. So if it is a 1 second dissolve, it reached into each clip 15 frames. If you don't want that footage to show, then you need to cut INTO your clip 15 frames, or more, so that THAT is what will show up in the dissolve.

Look...stop this RAZORING thing...this isn't how you edit. Load the clip into the viewer. play the clip until you get to the part of the clip you want to include in the timeline. if you want a dissolve, then adjust the IN point so that you have enough handles for this. Then do the same with the next clip.

You need some schooling on the basics of editing.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Karen Heiser
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:49:17 pm

Thanks for your answer. Razoring doesn't seem like the best way to me either, so I will go back to my guide and try to see what I'm missing.

I didn't have this problem when I was using two different clips or a multiclip, but I am using one clip that was sent to me spliced. That's why I've been using the razor, since I can't have more than one IN and one OUT in a clip. I don't understand why cross dissolve will use the last 15 or 30 seconds of a clip and the first on another, but if the clip has a deleted part, then it uses that part instead (reaches into the area cut rather than using the area that was not cut). It's counterintuitive.

Test 3 is what you suggested when referring to Test 2 and it didn't seem to work. I misused the word 'handle' since handle is the part before IN or after OUT, and I meant the cut part. So the overlapping handles concept doesn't apply.

Seems like the razoring might be the problem. It sounds like you might be saying that I should load the clip into the viewer and make IN and OUT points, put it into the timeline and repeat the process for each segment rather than cutting it into segments. I will try this. I think my guide (Apple Pro Training Series) always used separate clips or multiclips. I am also using the books FCP Power Skiills and Portable Genius and I've been studying and working with FCP for about 7 months. That's all the schooling I have so far.

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:17:54 pm

[Karen Heiser] " I think my guide (Apple Pro Training Series) always used separate clips or multiclips."

It only makes sense that if you are using a transition between two pieces of video and you want to clearly see exactly what is happening, that you should use video of two different images.

In fact, many tutorials form the manufacturers of of filters and transitions will use a colored clip with just the number "1" on all frames of the "A" side of the transition, and a different colored clip with the number "2" on all frames of the "B" side of the transition. Examining each frame video for the duration of the these transitions gives you a very clear insight into what is actually going on because the frames on the individual clips are identical, so the only change you see is caused by the transition itself, not the underlying video, and you get a full appreciation for how each transition really works.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Karen Heiser
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:38:29 pm

David,
Great idea - thanks! Obviously, I need a better understanding. I will try this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]