FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dumping PAL project to DVCAM thru FW

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David J. Smolar
Dumping PAL project to DVCAM thru FW
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:15:18 pm

Hi all. Client came in with 4 min video, shot 25fps 1440x1080. Trying to find the fastest, most effective way to print to video. So far, it looks like I can export the sequence, then import the resulting QT file into an NTSC seq with no sync or other problems. I'm rendering out a 30s sample now, then will try dumping to tape.

Client wants highest resolution possible. So, I created a duplicate seq at 1440x960 [twice 720x480]. Will this whole thing work? Does it matter if the seq is 720x480 or 1440x960? And does it have to be NTSC to transfer by FW? I'm thinking it'll have to be NTSC to print onto this deck [DSR-50].

And one more point: since we might be able to use a DVD instead of tape for presentation, I dumped the original 4 min seq into Compressor and compressed for DVD, then imported into a PAL DVD Studio project. All looked simple and good and simulated properly. Then I tried burning it and it crashed the program. I had to force quit the program and the DVD is still running in the drive.

Should I use Compressor to convert the seq to NTSC, then burn to DVD? Can Mac drives burn PAL DVDs?

David J. Smolar
Preditor
Creative Video of Washington
creativevideo.com
inbetweenthings.com

Return to posts index

Josh Olenslager
Re: Dumping PAL project to DVCAM thru FW
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:59:10 am

Hi David,

1440x1080 is a typical HD space for 50i -- DVCPro1080i50 and also HDV in PAL I think. How did they deliver the file, and is it supposed to go back out to DV cam? I only mention this because if they want the highest resolution possible, that'd be in HD based on what you've said. If it is a disk or DVcam, you might try a typical 16:9 frame size (864x486 for NTSC or 1024x576 for PAL). That might solve your crash problem. I'm not sure about PAL disks in MAC drives, but I think I've seen it work. Been a while since I've touched anything PAL. You're right that you'll probably need to move to NTSC to put back onto DVcam, or see if you can adjust the deck itself to accept the PAL sequence. But I'd personally start by contacting your end client to make sure you have the delivery specs down, and explaining the type of file you're working with.

Good sailing!

Josh

Return to posts index

David J. Smolar
on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:18:04 pm

Thanks for the note, Josh. Turns out the client shot it all HD, then ventured into the realm of FCP for the first time and cut it herself. It looks nice, for a 4 min testimonial video. However, looks like she, somehow, some way, created a 25fps sequence to edit her project. Again, footage was HD and all signs pointed to 720x480, but the client's sequence was 25fps, tantamount to PAL.

Also turns out that her concerns about resolution and screen size her irrelevant, since what I was outputting wasn't going to her but would be used for our projection needs at her conference the next week. And my colleague, the projectionist, wanted it on DVD, since all other media for the conference was on DVD.

So I exported her sequence from FCP to a QT, imported the QT into Compressor, had Compressor convert it to DV-NTSC [29.97fps], then used the resulting NTSC-friendly QT for export. Imported it into a 720x480 sequence in FCP and printed to tape [which he ended up not needing], and imported the same file into DVD Studio Pro and burned for projection. Much confusion from a client whose first-time use of FCP went from wonky to haywire in the click of a mouse.

David J. Smolar
Preditor
Creative Video of Washington
creativevideo.com
inbetweenthings.com

Return to posts index

Josh Olenslager
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:12:44 pm

Glad everything worked out in the end, maybe more work than necessary, but a good result is a good result.

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]