FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining footage from Different cameras

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlton ahrens
Combining footage from Different cameras
on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:50:02 pm

Hello,

I am having a problem that I would appreciate any help in solving. I am midway through a documentary film and am combining footage from two different cameras and could use some assistance in setting this thing up in final cut.

The first camera is a Sony HVR-V1u shot in 24p HDV 1440 x 1080 mode and the second is the Canon 5d Mark 2 shot in 1920 x 1080.

I am at a loss on the best way to combine the footage. What I have come up with is converting the 5d footage into pro res 422 LT changing the frame rate to 29.97. Then I convert the hdv footage to prores 422LT.

Any sort of assistance on this will be greatly appreciated. I am going to have about 200 hours of footage so I would like to go with the LT setting but am open to suggestions. The end use is a blu ray dvd so i really don't want to lose quality in the editing. I guess a big question is whether to degrade the 5d or to blow up the HDV? Any help out there?

Thanks,
Carlton

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Combining footage from Different cameras
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:25:00 pm

I haven't used ProRes 422LT. I normally use 422, but I've read LT is close to 422. The best thing you can do is burn a short clip using each and decide if you can see a difference.

As for your conversion strategy I'd capture the HDV as ProRes and convert the 5D footage to the same format. What frame rate was the 5D set to?

Canon's about to release a plugin for FCP to more easily transfer the footage. I'm not sure if this plugin is available yet, but when it is it'll make what you're trying to do much easier.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

carlton ahrens
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:46:27 pm

Hey,

Thanks for replying.

I have decided upon LT. The frame rate for the 5d is 30 fps but the new firmware update makes it 29.97. So when i convert the old footage on the 5d i am going to change the frame rate to 29.97.

My problem now is that when i capture the HDV footage... 1) It only offers me the option of capturing in the prores 422 or prores 422 hq. i really want LT.

The second problem is that fcp creates data files and not self contained qt files. I read about someone else having a problem with this on creative cow. nobody ever responded to his problem. I want the individual files in qt and not some data file.

Because of this i see no other alternative than capturing in HDV then converting in compressor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Carlton

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 19, 2010 at 6:41:39 pm

I've sort of reached my level of incompetence. I use a P2 workflow and rarely import HDV. I've read about the issue you refer to - how HDV is captured as text files. There were a couple of workarounds mentioned. It's a pain, but what else can you do? Maybe the next dot update of FCP will let us choose LT or Proxy for HDV capture.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]