FORUMS: list search recent posts

1. Where is the blasted DVE? 2. Tutorial?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad McAllister
1. Where is the blasted DVE? 2. Tutorial?
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:16:12 am

I am an Avid editor (DS) and I am leaning towards the darkside and starting to use FCP. Ok, I have two simple questions:

1. What suggestions do people have for training material. Something good and inexpensive.
2. WHERE IS THE FREAKEN DVE IN THIS BLASTED THING!!! I can't locate any form of DVE in this software and its driving me nuts. I have FCP Studio version 6.6.....HELP!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: 1. Where is the blasted DVE? 2. Tutorial?
on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:36:16 am

The DVE is the Motion Tab in the Viewer. You'll find Center, Scale and other basic controls there. There are plenty more controls in the Video Filters.

As for tutorials, we have plenty right here on the Cow at the top of the screen where it says "Final Cut Tutorials."

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:39:59 pm

And they aer uniformly AWESOME, BTW.

It may help you as a recent Avid refugee to know you can re-map the FCP keyboard so that it responds the same to all the keyboard shortcuts you are used to from Avid. Might help you work faster.

And what you can't do well using the motion tab, you can do with more control in Apple Motion, which is something like a compact AfterEffects.

Return to posts index

Brad McAllister
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:20:06 pm

Thanks for the quick response....I will look to see if I can find it now....ha.

In Avid|DS you click on the "clip" that you want to add the effect on. Then, after you right click on the clip, you then choose DVE. Is this basically the same thing? What if you want to add a background behind it, do you put it into a container of some sort of do you just keep adding video tracks? I liked the "container" approach because it keeps your timeline clean.

Return to posts index

Brad McAllister
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:30:28 pm

I have found it but it really seems to be a pain...is it me? Can you click and drag it to where you want it to go or do you have to keep adding/subtracting and manually adding numbers?

While I'm on the subject, there use to be a "output" window (besides the preset and program window)...is there a short cut for bringing that back up?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:44:55 pm

[Brad McAllister] "Can you click and drag it to where you want it to go or do you have to keep adding/subtracting and manually adding numbers?"

In Wireframe mode you can click, drag, resize and twirl to your heart's content. Just set the first keyframe and away you go.

[Brad McAllister] "While I'm on the subject, there use to be a "output" window (besides the preset and program window)...is there a short cut for bringing that back up?"

Output window? There's a Viewer and a Canvas.

Might want to dive into the manual a little bit. The entire FCP manual is under the "Help" menu.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Brad McAllister
on Mar 18, 2010 at 12:45:53 am

Thanks for the advice and I DO need to thumb through the manual but maybe I didn't make myself clear...sorry. I'm working on a dual monitor system. Right now I don't have a NTSC output monitor hooked up (we just moved our office after 22 years and still unpacking) and it really helped having the 3rd window on the second screen (does that make sense now?). Anyway, I have the basic ("standard") set up with the preview/program windows but there use to be a 3rd window (that was ALSO the program output window). It was really nice. Sometimes, when I really wanted to see what was going on, I just looked at the other monitor (computer) and checked it out full screen. I accidently closed the window and now I can't find where to turn it back on. I have tried all the different set up's but none of them make that 3rd window come back. So, basically what I am asking is if I can add a second program out window for my second monitor until I hook a NTSC monitor up? If so, WHERE IS IT AND HOW DO I DO IT!!! HA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]