FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS to FCP via passthrough

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Stark
VHS to FCP via passthrough
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:26:27 pm

After reading several posts it sounds like it is possible to send an analog VHS signal to my Canon GL-1 and then into FCP for recording old video tapes.

However, it doesn't work without first dubbing the VHS onto a miniDV tape and then capturing that into FCP. Is there a way to do this without wasting a dv tape? I just want to use the GL-1 as a "pass through."

When I plug the VHS player into the GL-1 Analog Input and set it to "VCR" there is no VHS signal. The only way to get a signal is to put in a miniDV tape and push "Play/Record." And that only lasts for a few minutes before resetting back to "Stop."

I searched the manual and the various menu settings for an "ANALOG IN" selector but couldn't find one.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: VHS to FCP via passthrough
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:26:17 pm

Sounds about right- many cameras automatically switch off if the deck isn't put into play or record. I'd stick with the dub to DV tape method you're using. It gives you a new master with timecode which is a lot more useful than a straight across VHS to Firewire dub.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: VHS to FCP via passthrough
on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:08:20 pm

Try leaving the loading door open on the camera; sometimes this defeats the automatic time-out.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]