FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manager Not Trimming

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kian McKellar
Media Manager Not Trimming
on Mar 12, 2010 at 6:48:12 pm

I'm going through and slimming down the old projects which are probably never going to be pulled again. Trying to use media manager to slim down a 2 10gig files that I used about 20 seconds of. I've watched the tutorial on Lynda.com and read tutorials on the Cow about how I do this but not matter what I do, Media Manager won't trim my large file. Tried using subclips and that doesn't work for me either. I know I would export each part manually but I feel that is going be combersome on larger more complex projects so i was hoping for some help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media Manager Not Trimming
on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:08:37 am

Does this clip have a REEL name? It needs a REEL name in order for MM to work.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:45:14 pm

It did not. It was a DVD rip file that was imported and thus not labeled with a reel. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:16:16 pm

Sorry, meant to say it did fix the problem. It did not have the reel on the item.

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:40:29 pm

I have racked my brains for a long time regarding the Media Manager. I've never heard that missing reel metadata was the cause of it failing to trim. Still a huge bug in my opinion - but thank you, Shane, for an easy solution!

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:05:29 am

Not really a bug...it is information FCP needs to track footage. Just add it and you are good to go. Should be something you have anyway, to help YOU track the footage too. Without reel information, how do you know where a shot came from?

Shane

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:21:11 am

Not really a bug...it is information FCP needs to track footage. Just add it and you are good to go. Should be something you have anyway, to help YOU track the footage too. Without reel information, how do you know where a shot came from?

"Reel" is an antiquated concept moving forward. File-based cams can create clips that don't have a tape "reel". DVD rips (yes, we must sometimes...), motion graphics or specially graded/VFX clips, and live-captured events (say, from an EVS or ghetto cam capture) often don't have reel information. Nor do they need to.

It should just trim the clip. A unique filename alone should be sufficient. Other systems do (right? PPro, Vegas, etc.).

BTW, if there's a tape involved, you betcha we make sure it has reel info. ;)

Big fan of the Little Frog blog BTW, appreciate your contributions.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:31:46 am

[Allan White] ""Reel" is an antiquated concept moving forward. File-based cams can create clips that don't have a tape "reel". "

No...not really. If you import file based formats into FCP via Log and Transfer, a REEL NUMBER is generated. Because you are still shooting "reels," but onto tapeless formats. Because each card has unique information, so you want to be able to TRACK that information...what footage came from what card. Otherwise you have a lot of footage, and you have ZERO idea what card it came from...what "backup folder" or "archive folder" that it was imported from. (I always recommend to offload the cards to folders with unique names...REEL numbers...so you can track the footage).

So it is hardly antiquated. You still have REELS, but different formats. The name is old...talking about what FILM reel...because they were reels...but tape name, or tapeless name...same thing.

[Allan White] "DVD rips (yes, we must sometimes...),"

Yup...so you need to indicate WHAT DVD. The reel name should be the name of the DVD, or a unique ID that you assign to it (like any good vault manager would do).

[Allan White] "motion graphics or specially graded/VFX clips"

Yup...that's tough. I just assign names like VFX or MOTION. But then they aren't typically really long, and need to be trimmed in media Manager.

[Allan White] " and live-captured events (say, from an EVS or ghetto cam capture) often don't have reel information. Nor do they need to."

I assign the reel LIVE to those. And yes, they need to have them if you want to make an EDL, or media manage the media. If you don't, then they aren't needed, but if you want to media manage, a reel number is required.

[Allan White] "Big fan of the Little Frog blog BTW, appreciate your contributions"

Thank you mucho!

Shane

Return to posts index

Allan White
Re: Reel - an anachronism today?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:14:54 pm

Hi Shane, a few thoughts and then I'll leave it be. What I think is true is this: some workflows are more dependent on reel metadata than others.

At some point in the last year or so, our workflow crossed a threshold from tape- and physical-media-based to a much larger percentage of file-based media. While we still have a vault full of video (30 years' worth), here's a few scenarios that don't work with the ones you mentioned:
  • All media is brought in, copied to a media drive, renamed, metadata added in CatDV, then cloned to a mirror drive.

• Cards are brought in, downloaded, then wiped. It's sent back out for shooting. We don't need to care about what card or drive it came in on; once the media is downloaded and backed up, the capture media is ready for reuse. This is the same workflow I use for my photography work.

• Same with DVDs, hard drives (we're getting a ton of volunteer-shot video, of every flavor). I don't want to fish for a DVD somewhere, I want the video in the format I converted it to.

• Crazy, but true: we're getting usable iPhone footage now. No reel info there, either! =)

Another fundamental problem I'd think stamping generic reel info (say, "live") is that if there are any overlapping timecode regions, edit apps will get confused. They'd all have to have unique, non-overlapping timecodes (right?) to avoid confusing the reconnect stage.

My point is that FCP being tied to reel information is anachronistic (not surprising, given its ancient heritage). What I am going to change is what I do in CatDV (my "pre-edit" tool) - either assigning unique reels to new clips (ugh) or creating new timecodes for a logical group (say, a single day's shoot) that don't overlap (hours 1-8, etc.). Since Reel info gets baked into the clip, it should be a trivial step in the pre-edit that will prevent hassles downstream.

Thanks again for your insights. I'd be interested to hear more about your workflow ideas on your blog.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Philip Ohler
Media manager not trimming
on Dec 11, 2010 at 2:51:11 am

Okay we got the reel numbers but the media won't trim. Over 1TB of ProRes LT source material edited down to a 12 minute sequence wants to be just under 1TB. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Louise Macaulay
Re: Media manager not trimming
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:29:31 pm

I am having this problem as well. My original 3 hour file is 60GB in size and shows a reel name of "1" in the FCP browser. Just for the heck of it I changed its reel name, which also changed the reel name for all my subclips. The subclips total about 45 minutes of footage, which the media manager takes up 56.5GB of space. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]