FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080 24p questions for documentary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Mirman
1080 24p questions for documentary
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:15:45 am

I am going to shoot a series of interviews and have decided to shot at 1080 24p. I don;t have a lot of experience shooting in this format and I do have a couple questions I am hopeful can be addressed before I start:

1. I will be using a Zoom H4N for secondary audio and was wondering if the 24p time line present any sync issues. I also use pluraleyes, but haven't tested it on a long clip.

2. The work flow itself: My plan is to transfer the MOV H.264 files to a folder called SOURCE, then convert with MpegStreamclip. The setting In Streamclip will be:

Apple ProRes 422
100 % quality
1920x1080 (HDTC 1080i) and I am concerned about the 1080i bit.
I will leave frame rate blank as I think it will use the frame rate from the source file.
Uncheck Interlaced Scaling

As for final cut I plan to create new project with the following video settings:

Sequences Preset: Apple ProRes 1920x1080 24p 48 kHz

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Brad

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: 1080 24p questions for documentary
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:43:02 pm

What camera are you using? If by 24p you mean 23.976, then yes. If you mean 24.000, then you need to either shoot in 23.98 (if you can) or conform later once you ingest your material. Going to Pro Res is a great option for the h264 footage (is this a canon 7d you're working with?)

Why are you using MPEG streamclip instead of Compressor? MPSC in my opinion has more room for error. Compressor will give you very nice ProRes HQ files in 23.98 for FCP to work with.

Your audio will depend on whether you're shooting @ 23.98 or 24.000. No framerate for audio per se, you just need to figure out if you need to slow it for sync or not.

Return to posts index

Brad Mirman
on Apr 4, 2010 at 11:34:52 pm

I am using 7D and T2i. I guess the primary reason I use MPSC is that I find it much faster than compressor and haven't really run into any problems with it yet. When batch converting hundreds of clips I find the same it saves to be substantial.

Why ProRes HQ? That seems like overkill to me. I have been using ProRess standard and LT and it seems to work fine.

As for sound I use a Zoom H4N and haven't had any sync issues - although the clips aren't very long - (and can't be more than 12 minutes due to the restrictions of the camera) so it is hard to tell what would happen on an extended clip.

Return to posts index

Grayson Earle
on Nov 20, 2010 at 8:39:37 pm

So if you leave the FPS blank will it automatically replicate it from the source file? Or should I put 23.796?

Revolt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]