FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Video Waveform Accuracy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Tomlinson
FCP Video Waveform Accuracy
on Mar 6, 2010 at 4:18:07 am

While I'm still trying to wrap my head around quicktimes and gamma differences between rgb Qt's and 422 Qt's---there is still something I see & I don't understand.

If I convert my RGB QT which has a 32 step grey chart to 10Bit 422 Uncompressed QT. How come FCP & QT's viewer only displays the 0-100 range yet the scopes show all the steps (3 above 100).

In Shake & Nuke-I only see 0-100 on the waveform/histograms.

Why do the scopes show this?

thanks for any thoughts,

Tom

Tom Tomlinson
Telecine Ass't.
NYC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP Video Waveform Accuracy
on Mar 6, 2010 at 2:57:18 pm

Google the article of Nattress "Video Levels in Final Cut Pro".
Shake, and I guess NUKE too, works in RGB. No way for values over 100%.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tom Tomlinson
on Mar 6, 2010 at 6:12:32 pm

Thanks Rafael. I did find that. Its a great find.

But what I find odd is that if the original 33 step rgb chart got converted to 422 and clipped. What I see on the viewers are the middle 29 steps. What I see in the histogram/waveforms of shake & nuke is 29 steps. But what I see in fcp's viewer only displays 29 steps but the fcp waveform shows 33 steps from -10 to 110.

So does qt & FCP block that extra info--basically "proc it" but the waveform is "pre-proc amp"?

thanks,
Tom

Tom Tomlinson
Telecine Ass't.
NYC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 7, 2010 at 2:20:52 am

Hi Tom,
Can you tell me the specs of the file of the original chart?
If you are getting these "off-specs" values, your chart must be, at least, 10b RGB.
8b RGB doesn't let you pass nothing over 100% or below 0%.

[Tom Tomlinson] " But what I see in fcp's viewer only displays 29 steps but the fcp waveform shows 33 steps from -10 to 110. "
This indicates that there are some super-whites and super blacks.
In the Canvas, you can not tell Super-whites from whites. They look the same: White.
Same happens with Blacks and Super-blacks.
In the Canvas they look just like black, but the Videoscope can see the difference.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Tom Tomlinson
on Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29:02 am

Its a dpx sequence that I rendered from baselight color correction. I rendered a 10 bit 422 uncompressed qt and an 8 bit one.

They both display clipped white on the viewer yet on fcp waveform/parade they are not clipped and show 33 steps.

I am trying to get a solution for color accurate 422 Quicktimes from color corrected rgb dpx files to satisfy client deliverables.

Tom

Tom Tomlinson
Telecine Ass't.
NYC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 7, 2010 at 5:03:03 am

[Tom Tomlinson] "They both display clipped white on the viewer yet on fcp waveform/parade they are not clipped and show 33 steps. "
I guess this is due to a shortcoming in QT/FC on displaying.
The display is done in 8b RGB, so you get the clipping, however the clipping doesn't happens on exporting.
I had this issue (drove me nuts for a few days) when applying certain filters (NeatVideo). SuperWhites are slashed in Viewer and Canvas (and even in the Videoscope) but are preserved on exporting.
Trust the Videoscope.
Rafael
PS: This is not a question for the FC Basic Forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]