FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to convert MSI files to?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davis Lanthripe
What to convert MSI files to?
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:33:31 pm

Hope I am posting in the right area.

I bought a small HD HDD camcorder ( Canon HG20 )to record family things and put online and DVD. Mostly my 8 year old dance recital. I use Roxio Toast to convert the .msi files to .mov so I can edit them in FCP. Thing is they look horrible. I do not have a HD TV, nor does any of my family that I will make the DVD's for. I can not even say they look good on my computer. I have tried many different codecs to convert the files to something of good quality. Apple Prorez, HDV, and some I have never used before. The best looking was HDV, but lost alot of its crispness. MOV was crisp but not for anything moving at all, left streaks folliwing the person, even when I put it on DVD.

I am shooting the HG20 using 720p, 60i, setting to TV60 or TV100.

Is it in the camera that I need to change some settings or in the conversion?

I have spent hours trying to get it right. I am now asking someone to hold my hand and tell me what to do!!

Thanks
D

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: What to convert MSI files to?
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:15:38 pm

Not familiar with your camera but 720p is a progressive format. Not sure why is says 60i or 60 interlaced fields. Doesn't make sense. But I've had to something similar with a friends camera and SD footage 16:9. I used MPEG Streamclip to convert the clips to ProRes 422 at 720x480 anamorphic (16:9). Dropped them into FCP and edited my project. The footage looked bad, but that's expected from a low end camera, no lighting and por videography. It was his wedding video. Not high end at all. But I was still able to put together a nice piece for him. Its not the codec or FCP, its the camera. Digital footage will always look different on a computer monitor versus a TV.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]