FORUMS: list search recent posts

NOOB - Create sequence according to footage - Noob

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Biederbeck
NOOB - Create sequence according to footage - Noob
on Mar 5, 2010 at 6:58:09 am

Question: Which bear is best, brown bear or black bear...JK.

1. How do I create my sequence the size of my footage (1440/1080?)
- I had to use imovie to capture it and export it as an xml file.
- I am in final cut express
- The size of the footage is displayed by its outline in blue, which is larger than the viewing area.
- In after effects I drag it into the comp and it auto-creates the correct size. Anything similar here?

In advance, you guys are awesome, and thank you!

From the logo designer trying to do video, Biederbeck. Col 3:17

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: NOOB - Create sequence according to footage - Noob
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:00:47 pm

Brown.

In easy setup pick the HD preset that matches your media.

Don't capture in iMovie, capture in FCE.

What version of FCE are you using?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:43:41 pm

Final cut couldn't read the .m2ts format the video was in.

So the answer is no, final cut isn't intuitive enough to recognize your video for you?

Ok, so how do I know what options to pick, there are tons of them!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:21:03 am

"What version of FCE are you using? "

Is there some reason you can't be bothered to answer this answer?

m2t is a transport and delivery format. m2t doesn't mean shit. What's the actual format your cameras's shooting? AVCHD? Yes, you can capture that in FCE. Why don't you just say what the freaking camera is that shot the stuff and you're capturing from.

The option you select in Easy Setup is based solely on the exact specifications of your media. What is it?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Mar 6, 2010 at 4:31:16 am

Sorry Bob.
I did not intend to be obstinate. And did not avoid the question of which version I am using intentionally (although It does make sense that someone would as it is a VERY personal question).

The files would not be imported into FINAL CUT EXPRESS 4.

The Files were written onto a mini disc on the camera which is not mine, and I don't know what kind it is. I believe it is avchd.

I have an imac which does not accept mini dvds. So they were placed on a jump drive for me to take home by a friend.

So. as I am new I am only beginning to understand the difference between format and codecs, however I still don't know how to figure out what format the files are. Here is a screen shot - of the files themselves

If I understand what you said. My settings have to be correct for it to directly be imported or captured to final cut?

Mind you, I have already finished the project and am burning it as I used handbrake to convert it, (still wouldn't import into FC) then into imovie, then as an xml file to get the job done.

But obviously I would like to understand the correct way of doing it so thank you for your time and help. If it is easier, shoot me a link where I may learn.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Mar 6, 2010 at 2:34:18 pm

You can ingest the files into FCE when they're in their AVCHD wrapper, which is a folder structure that contains metadata about the files. Normally when these files are copied off the disc the entire folder structure is copied and then there is no problem. Because this wasn't done the material cannot be brought into FCE as it is now. There are some tools that might be able to fix this, one is ClipWrap2, which can convert it to QuickTime, the other is Voltaic, though this is very slow.

Handbrake should not be used for this. Handbrake is for converting media for use on the web or iPhone or iPod. It's not for converting media for production.

You also need to update to version 4.0.1.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]