FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering and Exporting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alastair Walker
Rendering and Exporting
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:57:37 pm

I have FCP 5.something. When I render the timeline, using a low resolution setting (for draft editing) at say 50% of full res, why does FCP export that setting as a final video in Quicktime conversion or any other export format? I change the export settings accordingly in all areas. That is a ridiculous workflow as it means you have to delete the render files to export at the best quality. Am I missing something here?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Rendering and Exporting
on Feb 26, 2010 at 10:24:06 pm

[Alastair Walker] "When I render the timeline, using a low resolution setting (for draft editing) at say 50% of full res, why does FCP export that setting as a final video in Quicktime conversion or any other export format? "

Because you are exporting what you have. And you have a lower resolution render out. FCP does not output what you don't have. If you want a full res output, you need to render full res. What editing application DOESN'T work this way?

[Alastair Walker] "I change the export settings accordingly in all areas. "

Doesn't matter. You have rendered out at low res, so exporting a high res QT just takes that low res thing you have and renders it to a larger file. If you don't want low res, then don't render low res.

[Alastair Walker] "That is a ridiculous workflow"

I agree. Rendering low res then expecting FCP to magically figure out to ignore the render files and just export the full res files, thus re-rendering them at full res (no NLE does that) is pretty rediculous. FCP exports what you tell it to...currently you are telling it to export the low res rendered version. It's just doing what it is told.

[Alastair Walker] " it means you have to delete the render files to export at the best quality"

EXACTLY.

[Alastair Walker] "Am I missing something here?"

That you think that FCP will know that you don't want the low renders exported, but rather to discard those and reference the full res files...it doesn't work that way.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alastair Walker
on Feb 27, 2010 at 1:25:00 pm

In a "preview" I just want to see true fps. That is more important than a final rendering. Especially when working with 2K sized frames. It is a silly idea that FCP exports your rendered timeline- effectively a second generation. Unless you are using 4:4:4 or a high bit depth compression algorithm it is a totally useless practice and that system is only just surfacing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 27, 2010 at 8:12:00 pm

[Alastair Walker] "It is a silly idea that FCP exports your rendered timeline- effectively a second generation. "

Why is that silly? You rendered it. You told FCP to export it. If you want full quality, render full quality, then export. This is true of ANY NLE (that I have worked with). Are they all silly too? You need to learn how to do things right, not try to get FCP to do what you THINK it should do.

[Alastair Walker] "Unless you are using 4:4:4 or a high bit depth compression algorithm it is a totally useless practice and that system is only just surfacing."

Are you familiar with offline/online workflows? Work at a lower resolution...lower resolution FOOTAGE, like ProRes Proxy. Then when you are done and locked, reimport at full resolution for final export.

What you are doing is trying to apply what you think should work to a system that doesn't work that way. What you need to do is learn how FCP does things, and then figure out how to do what you need to do within those confines. Or use Avid and figure out how it does things. But to go "I'm going to do things this way....HEY, why doens't FCP allow me to do things THIS way" is what is silly. because it isn't DESIGNED to do things they way you want.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]