FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice. Will buy a Mac Book and Final Cut Pro and help is need it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgiana Lixandru
Need advice. Will buy a Mac Book and Final Cut Pro and help is need it
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:40:45 pm

Hi.
I am moving on from a PC to a MAc. Of course i am confused , but i have worked in Final Cut and i am in love. This is an very expensive move for me so i have arrange to buy and pay in 4 years, this way i can afford and work in the same time. My questions may look silly but i have no experience what so ever in this area.

So i want to buy a Laptop MAc Book with all the programs ( Final Cut Pro). I edit documentaries and some are in HD native progressive. Not all though!

I know you are already working with this and meet some issues. Maybe you can advice me in this matter, trying to explain why you will pick up that or that, or why this choice is not good.

This are the specifications of the 17-inch MacBook Pro:

Precision aluminum unibody
Up to 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
17-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
Multi-Touch trackpad
High-performance graphics
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4GB memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 512MB GDDR3 memory
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor
17-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display (antiglare option available)
1920 by 1200 pixels
MagSafe power port
Three USB 2.0 ports
One FireWire 800 port
Mini DisplayPort
iSight camera
Full-size, backlit keyboard
ExpressCard/34 slot
SuperDrive

My questions are this:

1. What is better 25 inch monitor or 17 inch?

I have heard that an 17 inch being bigger will not last longer for travel and the screen has more chances to broke. I do wish to be able to travel since i am not staying in on place. Travel: it does not mean i am working in news and editing on field, but more on short films and long ones so when i get to a place i usually stay there for few month to finish editing. Then i pack my staff and here i go again. I would prefer an 17 inchi since i have eyes glasses and i would like to see better what i do. I do not have a control monitor, nor i can buy one. I will have access to a TV now and then to check it out later in the editing process.

2. What is better? 2.53GHz, 2.66GHz or 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor?

3. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor - is this good?

Please do not laugh but since i really have not ever worked in this i can not know. I want to learn before i buy what is good or not for me.

Thank you for all.

"Our senses don't deceive us: our judgment does" - Goethe

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
Re: Need advice. Will buy a Mac Book and Final Cut Pro and help is need it
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:53:58 pm

The general rule of thumb is to buy the most you can afford, especially with laptops. Go with the graphics card that has the most RAM.

For monitoring, you might eventually need an I/O box for laptops. Matrox makes one and so does AJA. Something to keep in mind for the future.

The laptop you list would probably be OK for a fair amount of editing workflows. Getting an external monitor to hook up to the laptop is up to you. Some people don't like how small the screen is, others have no problems. So get the 17" and see how you like it, then evaluate external monitors.

Return to posts index

Georgiana Lixandru
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:06:59 pm

Thank You Nicole.

The thing is that if i buy it on credit i can afford anything so i would like to buy what is right, because the payment will be done on few years so i will not feel it so hard.

I will see what is possible. Why do you say for a fair amount of editing workflow? Can't you not do special effects and so on it the same way as to a normal working station?

"Our senses don't deceive us: our judgment does" - Goethe

Return to posts index

Jim Edds
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:30:32 am

I would go with the 7200 rpm drive and I prefer the nonglare screen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]