FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG streamclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gladstone
MPEG streamclip
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:02:44 pm

Thinking about installing MPEG Streamclip on the same system that has FCP. Curious about installing the quicktime alternative so that I can get MPEG support, will that cause problems with FCP or Quicktime conversion? Can I re-install Quicktime after I install the quicktime alternative? Or is it better to pay for the plug-in from apple, and not bother with the Quicktime alternative?

Thanks.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: MPEG streamclip
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:16:45 pm

[Steven Gladstone] "Curious about installing the quicktime alternative so that I can get MPEG support"

1) You seem to have the wrong idea about what MPEG Streamclip is and how it works. It is not an alternative to Quicktime, in fact, it uses the same codecs that QT installs. It can be used to convert files instead of QT and the other apps that use it, and it also rips files from muxed DVDs to any QT codec for additional editing as well as any other product on the market. And, it's free to boot.

2) It in no way interferes with FCP or QT Conversion.

3) Why don't you have MPEG support?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:36:33 pm

I do not misunderstand MPEG Streamclip. However when downloading MPEG streamclip, there is a mention of the Quicktime alternative, which I suppose is what I should have titled the thread - sorry. The Quicktime alternative apparently Allows you to play quicktime files, and gives you MPEG2 support without having to pay for the MPEG2 codec, so I'm just wondering if there is any negative to using the Quicktime alternative to Apple's Quicktime.

Thanks.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:49:24 pm

If you have FCP installed you don't have to pay for QT Pro.

I would stay away from QT Alternative.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:05:16 am

[David Roth Weiss] "I would stay away from QT Alternative. "

Because FCP relies on Quicktime. No QT, no FCP.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:11:16 am

OK, thanks, I thought that might be smarter.

I'll guess I'll pony up the $20 for the MPEG2 codec when I need it.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:16:58 am

[Steven Gladstone] "I'll guess I'll pony up the $20 for the MPEG2 codec when I need it. "

Why? Why don't you have it already?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Feb 20, 2010 at 2:23:42 am

Haven't needed it yet. Can play MPEG 2 on the windows machine, which now has MPEG Streamclip so easy to conert to Quicktime. Now what I need is something to convert .flv to .mov

Thanks

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:38:58 pm

"Now what I need is something to convert .flv to .mov "

MPEG Streamclip will do this as well. You might need to install Perian 1.2 for this to work correctly though. Perian is a swiss army knife app that works with quicktime. it allows you to play back flv in quicktime. thus letting you use mpeg streamclip to convert.

I think what David was asking was, if you have FCP installed already, it comes with QT pro and the mpeg 2 playback component. no need for quicktime alternative junk.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:50:44 pm

[Matt Campbell] "I think what David was asking was, if you have FCP installed already, it comes with QT pro and the mpeg 2 playback component. no need for quicktime alternative junk. "

That's precisely what I was inferring Matt.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:57:57 pm

Thanks for the Perian link.

I'm away now, but will check it all out.

I'm still used to QT Pro on windows which requires the MPEG2 plug-in. I'll check my mac at home (with fcp) to see if it plays MPEG 2 in QT player.

Thanks.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]