FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Import into FCP6 (Standard HDV, Apple Intermediate, Uncompressed)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Dassos
HDV Import into FCP6 (Standard HDV, Apple Intermediate, Uncompressed)
on Feb 13, 2010 at 5:50:52 am

Hi all,

I have found the Creativecow forum extremely useful over the past few years as a wealth of information. I hope you may be able to answer my relatively simple question (first post on the forum too!).

Basically I have HDV footage shot on a FX1 to import into FCP6. My standard work-flow would always use 'HDV 1080i50' as the import setting (within the Easy Setup dialogue box).

I have recently read that there are a number of other ways to import HDV footage and retain better image quality, some of the formats mentioned were:
Apple Intermediate Codec
Uncompressed 8bit
Uncompressed 10bit

After a little experimenting I did realise that standard HDV import using FCP retails a data rate of approx 3.3mb/s, whereas Apple Intermediate Codec revealed a much higher data rate at around 10mb/s.

The problem is, I have been unable to perform any kind of import using Uncompressed 8-bit PAL or Uncompressed 10-bit PAL. I keep getting an error on the import dialogue

'Capture Preset must have a video or an audio digitizer set to capture. Please change the desired preset in the Audio/Video settings'.

Do you have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: HDV Import into FCP6 (Standard HDV, Apple Intermediate, Uncompressed)
on Feb 13, 2010 at 3:12:09 pm

Checkout Chris Poisson's excellent tutorial.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Dassos
Re: HDV Import into FCP6 (Standard HDV, Apple Intermediate, Uncompressed)
on Feb 14, 2010 at 12:24:21 am

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. The tutorial was useful.

I am however still concerned that the tutorial provides instructions on importing using Apple Intermediate Code (which provides slight loss to the original quality).

I was under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) that you are also able to import into FCP at Uncompressed (either 8-bit or 10-bit) to ensure no loss in transfer from HDV tapes to the computer.

Is there any way to import HDV to Uncompressed 8bit/10bit format within FCP?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]