FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD - ProRes confused

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Witcher
SD - ProRes confused
on Feb 6, 2010 at 9:49:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been looking on the forum for tips on my problem, but I've ended up more confused then when I started.

Question: I have a SD 16:9 ratio documentary I shot on a Sony HDR FX1 - this was originally edited in Adobe, the good news is this film has now been accepted by a Sky channel. Since I made this film I have brought a Mac and FCP v7.1 I have been editing my next project, shot in HD with ProRes all OK.

Now, my plan is to re cut the SD doc in FCP for TV - so I will capture all the tapes and load into FCP, a total of approx 18 hours of tape.

Can I edit with ProRes? from what I have read I would need a capture card to use ProRes? (which I don't have) can I just capture direct from the camera? if so what are the correct capture settings? as I'm in the UK I have selected PAL in the easy setup and this will use Cinema Tools 23.98fps DV PAL.

In the log and capture settings - which capture setting would I select DV PAL? my confusion is, there is an option in easy setup for ProRes - with this setting the sequence settings after capture are 720x576 aspect CCIR 601/DV PAL.

I'm not sure what is right or wrong - the final delivery format is DV50.

Sorry if I missing the obvious with this question. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Paul

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: SD - ProRes confused
on Feb 6, 2010 at 10:30:02 pm

You can capture HDV to ProRes. Here's an excellent tutorial by Chris Poisson which explains the workflow.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 7, 2010 at 2:14:13 am

..then open a DV50 sequence and edit on it.
Careful about the field order.
Rafael.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Witcher
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:30:46 am

Hi John, HD I'm fine with, it's the SD stuff I'm not sure about i.e what is the best way to capture it? and can I use ProRes?

Paul

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:28:16 pm

With the exception of capturing HDV over FW, I've never captured SD that way. I've always used a deck and capture card. I'm sure it's similar to the HDV workflow, just changing it to DV. I don't know if DV can be captured to ProRes over FW. Rafael will probably know. You can drop the DV into a DV50 timeline & edit as Rafael mentioned above. That will also treat graphics and text much better than a DV timeline. Rafael, please correct me if I'm wrong.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:26:51 am

Sure, you can capture the DV as Prores too.
But I wouldn't capture the DV, neither the HDV as Prores.
I would edit native in a DV sequence and shift to Prores before exporting.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Apr 9, 2010 at 8:41:12 am

Hi Rafael,

What do you mean by shift to prores? Do you mean move your dv-pal timeline to a pro-res one?

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]