FORUMS: list search recent posts

sporadic stuttering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Hill
sporadic stuttering
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:59:39 pm

I am in the midst of editing a documentary and am encountering a really frustrating problem, where a number of my photo moves are stuttering. The interviews look great, no problems. The sequence settings are as follows:

DVCPRO HD 720p60 (compressor)
23.98 (editing timebase)

I am editing on a Mac Pro (Quad Core Intel Xeon) with 4 GB Ram. My photo moves are all rendered/ outputted to match my sequence settings. I have tried creating the moves on both Motion and After Effects in the faint hopes that the problem is related to software. I know, I know, stupid girl, but that's what happens when desperation takes hold of you. As I mentioned before not all of the phot moves stutter but the majority of them do. I knew my archival footage would be problematic because it is 29.97. I have yet to convert it. What could I be doing wrong? When I output to DVD the stuttering remains. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: sporadic stuttering
on Feb 2, 2010 at 9:49:26 pm

How are you monitoring your program? It's not clear what the frame rate is of the problem movies. If they are 29.97 in a 23.98 timeline, that's probably where the stuttering comes from. Also, particularly in AfterFX, make sure the frame rate is 23.976 NOT 23.98. 23.98 is shorthand for 23.976. When FCP says 23.98 it means 23.976. When AfterFX says 23.98 it means that literally, and that file will be funky in a 23.976 timeline in FCP.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Cindy Hill
on Feb 3, 2010 at 12:54:11 am

Thanks, John. Yes, my FCP and A/E settings are matched at 23.976. I'm wondering if perhaps some of the moves are happening at a rate the processor cannot handle? Could this be a lack of persistence of vision caused by the 24p frame rate or could I have insufficient drive space?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:14:17 pm

24P is subject to stuttering even if everything is done correctly. There's a speed over which vertical edges will stutter. The American Cinematographer Handbook has specs for the maximum speed of a pan for a given frame rate. Go faster and it stutters. Try applying some blur to see if that helps. You can also try and slow down the move to see if that makes a difference.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bruna Abubakir
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:16:58 pm

Cindy,

I didn't understand if you made the photo animations on FCP or A/E.
If it was on FCP, then I'm really sorry. Photo animations on FCP are limited and usually end um having that effect if the move or zoom is too extreme.
If it was on A/E maybe the problem is related to codec, pixel aspect or frame rate at rendering.

Hope this helps.

Just a very big puzzle mister man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]