FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP font looks ragged

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Normington
FCP font looks ragged
on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:04:01 pm

Hi,

I have a NTSC DV project. The sequence is set up for DV 10 bit.

I made a title and the edges look little ragged on any monitor I look at. I tried a bunch of different fonts. They all look the same

Not sure what is going on here.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: FCP font looks ragged
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:06:39 pm

Are you sure you're fully rendered?

Are you looking at a broadcast monitor? Is that what you mean by "edges look little ragged on any monitor I look at?"

According to some, the FCP title generator should only be used as a place holder too.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:17:52 pm

Sounds normal for a DV project. DV is a vary poor codec when it comes to quality.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:16:38 pm

[Zane Barker] "Sounds normal for a DV project. DV is a vary poor codec when it comes to quality."

Zane is being far too efficient with his words above and short-changing the issue in the process.

DV is actually a wonderful and revolutionary codec for moving video where the incredibly vast compression rate is hardly noticeable. However, it absolutely sucks for text and graphics, because it operates in 4:1:1 color space and thus chucks out an enormous amount of color information, and then it interpolates, or "guesstimates" the color of many nearby remaining pixels.

So, how do you fix that? Easy, when you're done editing your sequence, go to Sequence>>Settings and change the compressor to a code that operates in 4:2:2 color space, such as DV50 or ProRes, then re-render the entire timeline. Bingo, you will have pristine text and graphics.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]