FORUMS: list search recent posts

Retouching video frames for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
Retouching video frames for FCP
on Jan 30, 2010 at 6:49:23 pm

Hi all,
I've read most if not all the threads on Photoshop and FCP but, not found exactly what I was looking for. (And I'm a bit embarrassed because this is probably FCP 101.)

I've successfully imported into Photoshop, frames from a clip as layers for retouching. It's a woman's face with a couple of skin issues. I'm up to the task of retouching the vast number of frames but, wondering if, once I'm done, one of you guys will just tell a dummy (me) the best way to get the retouched layers back into FCP so they play like a normal clip on the timeline. Is it an export command from Photoshop or via an import command in FCP? I just want to do it the right way the first time. Thanks so much! RK
BTW... on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Josh Olenslager
Re: Retouching video frames for FCP
on Jan 30, 2010 at 9:40:22 pm

Save out of photoshop as tiff or targa files. Make sure that naming is some kind of numerical order so that they sort from frame one to the end. Once everything is touched up and saved (in a single folder -- depending on clip length could be thousands of files so you'll have to be a bit patient with finder if you get into the folder) launch QT and select open as image sequence. It'll ask what frame rate you want, so simply choose that, select your image folder as the source, and QT will compile the individual frames back together in numerical order. Save that out in your editing codec and import the compiled file back into FCP.

There may be a better or easier way to go about this, but it's how I've always done it. Seems to work pretty well.

Josh

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 30, 2010 at 10:03:31 pm

Wh not just open up a QT movie in PS Extended? much easier.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Jan 30, 2010 at 11:14:33 pm

Thanks for your input, Josh.
I may have to try that.

And Richard, I've heard extended may do this type of thing easier but, I don't have the extended version. If that is really the way to go about it, I may have to invest in it. Is it just a simple matter of exporting it from Photoshop Extended back to FCP?

Return to posts index

Andres Landino
on Nov 10, 2010 at 3:23:32 pm

Hey !! I'm in the same situation. Learning how to'decompose' a movie clip into individual frames in order to retouch each of them. But, my question is, once you open the file with QTP as an image sequence, is JPG25 the best option in order to keep the quality on the clip ? I mean when QTP ask you the format, what would be the best option to choose ? Many Thanks !! Andres

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:23:26 pm

As I understand it now, PS Extended does this very handily.
I may have to invest but, anybody got any real world experience with 'Beauty Box', 'Electric Makeup Artist', or any another movie auto-retouch plugin?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 10, 2010 at 7:25:41 pm

Beauty Box is awesome and easy to use

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Garrett Ewald
on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:30:31 pm

From Photoshop Extended you have to export the final file into the format of your choice. Be ready for some choices to make, you have the full range of choices and it can be quite daunting. And it doesn't remember from one time to another what you did last.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]