FORUMS: list search recent posts

problem with 'log & capture'

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Lewis
problem with 'log & capture'
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:14:54 am

Hi,
Everytime I try to log and capture HDV footage from my SONY Z1 camera it says 'NOW CAPTURING' and then it continually says 'SEARCHING FOR MEDIA' and then 'NOW CAPTURING' again. So the footage is captured into a different file every minute or so. Then if I try and capture the footage again from the beginning it does the same thing but often at different times in the footage from the previous capture. I have trashed my preferences in FCP, cleaned the heads of the Sony Z1 and de-selected the FCP preference box that says 'abort capture on dropped frames.' I have also turned off the function 'QUICK RECORD' on the Sony Z1.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be about.......its a real worry.

Thanks

Sarah

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: problem with 'log & capture'
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:22:39 pm

You either have real or "fake" timecode breaks.

HDV is notorious for timecode issues, especially if you are controlling the VTR via Firewire, and very often FCP will see what it thinks are timecode breaks in the tape. If you have your User Preferences set up to "Make New Clip" on timecode break, then FCP will stop after each break, re-cue the tape, and start capturing again.

To avoid this we have our Prefs set up to "Warn After Capture" on TC break.

Final Cut Pro > User Preferences > right side of the window "On Timecode Break" change that to "Warn After Capture."

Now the danger of this is if you really DO have timecode breaks, you will not be able to accurately recapture this footage in the future. FCP creates its own timecode from the moment tape capture starts till the time it ends for each clip. So if there truly is a timecode change during the capture, FCP won't record it. This is only an issue if you need to recapture the footage again in the future.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]