FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDLs in FCS 6 and 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maaike Middleton
EDLs in FCS 6 and 7
on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:29:29 pm

Hello-

I am very new at working with FCs and am having a problem importing an EDL which was created on FCS 7, I have FCS 6. I know once you have upgraded you cannot go back to an old version, is this the same for and EDL.

Any suggestions on what may be going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Maaike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: EDLs in FCS 6 and 7
on Jan 23, 2010 at 11:45:07 pm

Why are you exporting an EDL? An XML is the best thing to do, as it keeps the connection to the footage. From FCP 7, exporting an XML version 4 is recommended. I do this all the time.

EDLs are really only good to enable you to create a new sequence with offline media so that you can then recapture.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Maaike Middleton
on Jan 23, 2010 at 11:59:42 pm

What I am having to do is work on a project with a friend of mine and our footage is on our hard drives. He has FCS7 and I have FCS6. So will the XLMs be able to open in both? and reconnect the media?

If this is so that is wonderful and thank you so much for your advise.

Maaike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:48:41 am

An XML is a translation document. What you do is start the project on one machine...if it is FCP 6, then simply opening that project with FCP 7 will work. The project file will update and that will be it. If you start it in FCP 7, then when you want to get it to FCP 6, select ALL of the contents of the BROWSER, and export an XML, version 4. Import that into FCP 6...work.

If any of you have changes you would like the other to have, export an XML of the sequence and the the other machine can import that XML. If you make changes to bins, just export that bin as an XML.

But it would be a lot simplier to both be on the same version.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]