FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro vs. Express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Cohn
Final Cut Pro vs. Express
on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:48:53 am

As a beginning video editor and one who is cost conscious, I'm wondering if FC Express might be robust enough to start with? I saw one post which said that with Express one cannot edit 1040p. Is this true? Are there other serious limitations which would lead you to recommend against beginning with Express? do I bite the bullet and just get the FC Pro initially?

kdoc

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Final Cut Pro vs. Express
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:42:27 pm

Hi Keith,
Don't take me wrong, but if you ever want to be a good with FC, you should start by research about that question by your self.
Download the docs with the features of both applications, and compare.
Thats my best advice: Start by learning to search by yourself the info that you need.
If there something that you don't understand, post.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Keith Cohn
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:09:58 pm

There are many ways to research a question: one of the main ones is getting thoughts from people who are actually authorities on a situation. That's what forums are for. That's why I came here and asked the question. For someone who hasn't used either to evaluate the meaning of the comparable specs is virtually impossible. You are correct in this--by looking a bit further I did see that Express supports 1080i but not 1080p. And this seems to me a limitation--probably a significant one. I'm still asking how authorities in the field feel about Express--whether it's robust enough or not--whether it would be a good way to edit for a year or two, or not? Whether the limitation of not editing 1080p is itself a probable deal-breaker?

kdoc

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:38:25 pm

Hi Keith,
I really don't know the Express, but sure that there are much more limitations (i'll have a look).
The truth is that I've never heard of anybody around recommending to start by the Express and then switch to the Pro.
However If you can upgrade later on without paying the full Suit, could bean option.
Anyway, wait. people talk about a new release.
rafael

Return to posts index

Keith Cohn
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:43:22 pm

Thanks Rafael: I doubt you can upgrade without charge. I saw on the "Reviews" of Express that someone was disappointed about the 1080p inability. After you wrote, I found the specs, and they do say 720p and 1080i, without mentioning 1080p--so I think it's true.

What is coming out new: the Pro?

keith

Return to posts index

Keith Cohn
on Jan 24, 2010 at 5:52:25 pm

Rafael, or others: You alluded to the fact that you think there will be a new version of FC soon, and to hold off on getting it. Can you confirm that, and perhaps elaborate. If it's true, when is the new version expected?

Thanks
kdoc

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:48:45 pm

[Keith Cohn] "Rafael, or others: You alluded to the fact that you think there will be a new version of FC soon"

NOBODY has alluded to there being a new version any time soon on this thread.

[Keith Cohn] "Can you confirm that, and perhaps elaborate. If it's true, when is the new version expected? "

As with ALL things Apple nobody knows until Apple officially says something.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Keith Cohn
on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:57:22 pm

Thanks Rafael: What confused me about that was that you said, "Anyway, wait. people talk about a new release." What did you mean by that?

kdoc

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:05:04 pm

[Keith Cohn] "Thanks Rafael"

Umm i'm Zane, Im the one who replied and said that nobody was alluding to a new version.

[Keith Cohn] ""Anyway, wait. people talk about a new release." What did you mean by that?"

People always like to talk and SPECULATE. For example a search of the cow will shoe you lots of speculation on new versions of FCP, what features it will have and when it will be released. And if you read those speculations and compair them to what actually did come out with FCS3 you will see that MANY of them were completely wrong. They were simply speculation, wants and wishes. The only way to know truthfully about a future product is to wait until it comes out and then go to the horses mouth to find out what they made.

Return to posts index

Keith Cohn
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:17:32 pm

I understand, and appreciate your clarification. I hadn't noticed that you, and not Rafael, had responded. My naivate came from the fact that some products (like Adobe Photoshop) come in approximately 18 month cycles, so that one can make a good educated guess when a new one is due. Were I going to spend $1,000, I'd wait a month, for example, if a new one of whatever were coming out, especially if upgrades are costly.

kdoc

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:05:13 am

Yeap.
Sorry here I am.
Keith, when you posted I made a Google for FC Express and I saw many places talking about FC Express 5.
But I shouldn't have said that "is coming".
rafael

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:47:41 am

[Keith Cohn] "Were I going to spend $1,000, I'd wait a month, for example, if a new one of whatever were coming out, especially if upgrades are costly."

$299 for FCP upgrades so it's not costly at all.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:47:32 pm

BTW, where did you read that the Express do not support 1080p.
I really don't think so.
!080p is managed as interlaced. What is call "psf".
You won't find a capture preset for 1080p, because must be captured as interlaced.
Once captured, needs to be checked as Progressive in the Browser and edited in a Progressive sequence.
rafael

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:27:58 am

[Keith Cohn] "I'm wondering if FC Express might be robust enough to start with?"

If you are even asking that question then I think its safe to say its probably not.

In my opinion I think that Apple should discontinue selling FCE and sell a standalone version of FCP that also comes with compressor for like $100 more then they sell FCE for now.

The whole studio is $999 so having a standalone FCP for $299 is fairly reasonable.

Think about it why put time and effort into developing FCP and then put more time into crippling it so you can then sell FCE.

Return to posts index

Keith Cohn
on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:37:03 am

Agreed, but somehow I don't think our agreement will lead anywhere !!:).

kdoc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]