FORUMS: list search recent posts

Special capture cards for HDV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamas Siry
Special capture cards for HDV
on Jan 14, 2010 at 5:31:11 pm

Hello,

I have got a MacPro 2,66 dualcore with a Nvidia 7300 card and a MacBookPro 2,53 intel core 2 duo with a nvidia 9400 and 9600 in it. I had no problems capturing HDV so far (using a Sony hvr15 via firewire). Do I really need a card like Kona to get better quality hdv footage during the capturing?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Josh Aderhold
Re: Special capture cards for HDV
on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:15:29 pm

Well I'm not sure exactly. But from my experience, I have captured great looking HDV footage on my Mac Book Pro (Specs below) and had no problems. As for better quality, I'm not sure.

I have found that unless you select the HDV codec, Final Cut won't capture it. So maybe that's where the Kona card comes in.

I'm sure others will be able to answer your question more thoroughly. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.6GHz
L2 Cache: 6MB
4GB Memory
Bus Speed 800MHz

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:56:11 pm

[Tamas Siry] "Do I really need a card like Kona to get better quality hdv footage during the capturing? "

Probably not, but it depends what you're doing. With a capture card HDV can be captured "full raster" to a codec such as ProRes. Why is that better?

1) Because it's an iFrame codec, meaning it's individual video frames rather than a bunch of metadata that needs decoding like HDV.

2) It's full raster, so does not require the squeeze and un-squeeze that anamorphic HDV requires.

3) ProRes operates in 10-bit color space, which facilitates somewhat easier color correction and better handling of text and graphic elements.

Do you need to do to capture HDV to ProRes with a capture card?

Maybe, maybe not. If you're stuff is really good, if your stuff is being cut with higher quality material, if your stuff is going to be broadcast, maybe so.

But, if you're creating Web videos, corporate communications, wedding videos, then probably not.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tamas Siry
on Jan 14, 2010 at 7:58:51 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I am capturing from my deck by choosing prores 422 in the capture settings and I get a much larger file. When finishing the editing I go and in the compressor I put it out in prores 422 (1920x1080), does it help anything?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 14, 2010 at 8:25:13 pm

Yes, it helps in the following ways:

1) ProRes is a more efficient iFrame codec that avoids the constant processor intensive decoding of HDV

2) it avoids the lackluster compression on your graphics and titles

You don't get the same "full raster" frames that a capture card will give you, but what the heck, two out of three benefits isn't all bad.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tamas Siry
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:36:06 pm

If I output my file in hdv on a tape and I capture it back with another (better card) would I get batter quality?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:41:28 am

[Tamas Siry] "If I output my file in hdv on a tape and I capture it back with another (better card) would I get batter quality?"

NOPE your limiting factor is the format that you are recording, and that is HDV. Capturing to a format like ProRes makes editing easier and also preserves the existing quality.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Tamas Siry
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:55:00 am

And what if the material that I want to put out on tape is HDV captured previously as hdv with no prores. Would it work that way?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:56:56 am

Going back to HDV adds another level of compression because it has to conform the video and rebuild the iFrame GOP structure.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]