FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing a ProRes file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Aigner
Editing a ProRes file
on Jan 10, 2010 at 12:47:39 am

I have to admit right off the bat, that I'm not an expert in editing or understanding codecs and whatnot. Here is my issue.

It was recently suggested to me to do my editing in ProRes 422, and I have run into an issue.

I started with some .avi files (all kinds of weird codecs) and have used MPEG Streamclip to convert them to a Quicktime .mov with ProRes 422.

My question is this, why do some files work just fine upon importing into FCP and other files need to be rendered (showing up with red bar upon import and dragging to timeline)? It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Also, why would I prefer to edit in ProRes than in DV Stream which is what I previously used?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Editing a ProRes file
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:01:31 am

Use Compressor to convert (see Advanced Format Conversions). MPEG Streamclip requires you to set your own settings, which don't be offended, you aren't ready for.

ProRes to DV is like saying coffee table book to newsprint.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Scott Aigner
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:07:34 am

Thanks for the response, I have some new info..and questions.

By coffee table book to newsprint you mean it is THAT much better to work in? I was always taught to edit in DV and just recently found out about ProRes. Have I been being taught wrong all along?

Second is the new info that might change your answer.

While messing around with my files, I found that if I open a new project and import the SAME EXACT converted ProRes file, it works no problem without needing rendering.

It is only when I import it to the project I am currently working on and drag it down into the timeline (which already has edits at the beginning of the timeline of different files (some of which are ProRes) does it say that I need to render it.

Could this be part of the problem? And why?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:12:55 am

1. Yes its that much better. But if you're shooting on DV it makes no difference GIGO

2. Look up sequence settings. You need to match them to footage

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Scott Aigner
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:25:47 am

1. Thanks

2. I'm trying to match them up and haven't had any luck so far...but thanks for letting me know what the problem was!

Return to posts index

Scott Aigner
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:34:53 am

Unfortunately, when I go to change the sequence settings to that they match the new video, it wont let me change the FPS, which is the major issue I think. It is set to 29.97 and the video file is 25..but the "editing timebase" field cannot be changed.

Would it just be best to use up my time recompressing these files with Compressor as you said before?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 10, 2010 at 2:37:43 am

Make a new sequence... Copy and paste

ALSO

Please consider watching our Cow podcast, pick up a few books as well.

Return to posts index

Scott Aigner
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:25:46 am

I'm new to the forums here, I didn't even know there was a podcast, but I'll be sure to check it out!

In terms of books, do you have any recommendations?

Most of what I do is just editing of my vids that are part of my art. I am a video/performance artist and so I do lots of weird stuff in terms of editing, but I'm really interested in codes and formats for exporting and all that stuff. But also in getting source material from a variety of things (old archival vids, old vhs vids, new hi-def footage and shhhhh even some copyrighted material - of course I use it in a way that I have permission to).

And the problem with new sequence, copy and pasting, is that when I put the old edited material together with the new material (either way, by putting the new into the old, or bringing over the old sequence into the new) I still will have to render in the end.

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:04:55 am

Don't editing and rendering dv sd footage in ProRes provide results superior to editing and rendering in dv??

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 10, 2010 at 5:42:45 am

DV = GIGO

For books..

Apple Training Series
Final Cut Studio On the Spot
Final Cut Workflows
Video Made on a Mac

I am biased ;)

Return to posts index

Scott Aigner
on Jan 10, 2010 at 6:33:59 am

I'll definitely look up those books, thanks!

So as for DV. If you are starting with DV footage (which I'm not, I'm just curious). Would you recommend compressing it into ProRes or something else before editing? Or will it not matter really?

As for my former issue with these files. I've given up on re-compressing them and trying to get them to work with my current timeline. I'm just going to have to edit them in a separate sequence, then combine, and then wait for the render.

Thanks for the help everyone! Special thanks to Richard!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:17:52 pm

[Scott Aigner] "It is only when I import it to the project I am currently working on and drag it down into the timeline (which already has edits at the beginning of the timeline of different files (some of which are ProRes) does it say that I need to render it."

That's your problem. The Sequence settings are already set. Those clips that match that Sequence will play in real time, those that don't, won't.

You say you have a hodgepodge of clips you started with. Were they all exactly the same frame size, same frame rate and all interlaced or progressive?

If any of those clips do not match exactly the Sequence, then they will not play in Realtime unless you have your Sequence set to Unlimited RT AND you have a fast enough media array to play the clips in realtime..

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]