FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to see Canon HDV24F video on a CRT external monitor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Maguire
How to see Canon HDV24F video on a CRT external monitor?
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:13:54 pm

Mac Pro 2009, Final Cut Pro 7, brand new install- I'm trying to view Canon HDV24F (native 1080/24p) video in my Final Cut Pro timeline via s-video to a JVC TM-H150C external 15" CRT monitor (or via component if I buy the additional JVC card). Firewire through a camcorder only shows a still on the external monitor when the video is paused. The footage is from a Canon HV40 camcorder.

I've spoken with BlackMagic Design and found that the Intensity Pro card CANNOT handle display of Canon HDV24F (or any native 1080/24p). Apparently the 24 frames per second rate is the problem. Some people on various forums have said that it can do 24p, but BMD says it cannot, and I can't confirm anything without plunking down $200 to test it myself, which I won't do. Also, with the various flavors of HDV out there, it seems that I can't go by what another user has experienced on his system.

I don't need a card or any other type of solution for capture, only for external monitoring, so I don't want to spend a fortune just to be able to use my little CRT production monitor to view the 24p video. What can I do? Is there a setting in FCP or a plugin that can do this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to see Canon HDV24F video on a CRT external monitor?
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:24:16 pm

You cannot view HDV as HD from FCP via firewire. FCP 6 and 7 will downconvert to DV...but for full HD you need an HD capture card.

Look at the Matrox MXO2 mini. It handles 23.98 output, and is only $299.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Maguire
on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:04:55 am

Thanks Shane. That's good news as I am working in FCP 7. Standard definition DV would be fine with me at this point, but all I get is a still image from where the playback is stopped. I even followed your troubleshooting checklist found in other threads, trashed preferences, etc. Do I need to change playback preferences or do something else so that FCP will properly downconvert playback from 1080 to SD and 24fps to 30fps, so the external CRT monitor can display video instead of stills?

Return to posts index

John Maguire
on Jan 10, 2010 at 12:44:54 am

After a bit of research I found the following:
1. The Matrox MX02 Mini is about $430 new
2. The Matrox MX02 Mini specs do not include 24p support
3. The next step up Matrox product that does support 24p cross-conversion is the MX02 LE which is about $900 new, which I cannot afford

Any other suggestions in response to my original post in this thread?

Return to posts index

Ed Homer
on Apr 25, 2010 at 3:43:25 pm

I'm loading Sony HDV into FCP7 converting to Pro Res. Working in Pro Res Standard is there another option for viewing video on external monitor?
Ed

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:07:24 am

[Ed Homer] "Working in Pro Res Standard is there another option for viewing video on external monitor? "

ONly option is an IO box or capture card. Matrox MXO2 mini and Decklink Intensity Pro are the cheapest options. The mini works on both laptops and towers.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ed Homer
on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:45:53 pm

I switched the "video playback" in Video/Audio settings to Cinema Digital Display and plugged in my LCD monitor via VGA and it works. Cheap alternative. Loose the 2nd monitor for bins but with a 21" monitor there is enough real estate for FCP.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]