FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD L&T question...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alf Hanna
AVCHD L&T question...
on Jan 5, 2010 at 7:03:41 pm

So I can L&T from my AVCHD SD card to FCP just fine. (Coming off a Panasonic HMC-150). However, I cannot seem to get it to work when I simply transfer the contents of my SD card, in it's entirety, over to any of my hard disks (yes, I've maintained the entire file structure). I've pored over the online manual, so I did RTFM, thanks, and it appears that FCP needs to see something other than the files on a local hard drive to L&T them. Am I being clear in this thought?

I assume that I can burn the files to a DVD and L&T will see them, but haven't tried that yet. It seems a bit odd that I need to actually plug the SD into a card reader for L&T to do it's work. While using Sony Video Vegas I can simply consume the stuff off any random location, local drive, external USB or FW, etc.

Is this just a forced discipline or am I missing something? I know the manual does state that L&T is a critical step to a workflow. If that's so, it makes location shooting a bit problematic, as how would I archive on location to recover when I get back to the editing suite? Would I need to carry my MacBook Pro and L&T on that? Seems unlikely since I have a wonderful dual quad MP with lots of RAM to do that grunt work.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2
also - Vegas Video 9.0c on Win7/64bit

Return to posts index

Chris Alstrin
Re: AVCHD L&T question...
on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:57:02 pm

Forgive me if I'm reading your problem wrong but did you specify the location for L&T to read your files? In other words if you transfered your entire SD card to your desktop did you then go to L&T and choose "add custom path"? It's the little wheel looking icon in the L&T window.

Chris Alstrin
http://www.alstrinfilms.com

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:16:40 am

Let me try and clarify. I was able to see the SD card just fine, and L&T'd the flles across into ProRes..but when I copy the SD directory structure to, say, my external hard disk (root level), call it anything, and keep that structure intact, then it doesn't work. It's like I can't log and transfer from a local hard disk. No matter what I do, like go to the wheel icon and specify a path to it. It error messages to me that there is no supporting directory type. It's like it's saying that it cannot understand the file structure unless it's actually physically on the SD card. There are files there, though, and video.

This works just fine on a Windows machine running Sony Video Vegas, sitting right next to my MacPro. So I know the card is ok, there is stuff recorded on it, and Sony (Windows 7) sees it. And the clips come into FCP just fine when they are originate from the SD card.

Does that help clarify the question?

Is this a bug or something deliberate for a process issue?

Alf

Return to posts index

scott norton
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:11:25 am

I have had luck importing the clips from within the folder once it's dragged onto my external drive (created by my Canon HF100 - I'm sure all manufacturers have differences). I need to root around inside the main folder a bit to find them - but when I find the actual video files, I am able to L&T.

Have you tried that already?

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 6, 2010 at 7:28:49 am

Yes, I did. It keeps giving me an error message that says that something like the 'file structure is not the same. Here' s the error message.I've attached it. See below. The directory structure is correct, it has files in it, and appears exactly as it does on the SD card, and on the Windows directories when I copy it on my other machine. The error message here is on the Mac, when i try and choose a clip to L&T from my external or internal drive. However, once again, the SD works fine with L&T. Not sure what's going on.

Alf

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:42:51 pm

I have the same camera. Log and Transfer works fine here with camera structured folders dragged from the card to any drive.

Are you pointing to the top level of the file structure (the folder dragged from the card), or the subfolder within it that contains the .mts files? You need to point to the top level folder, not sub folders or sub folder content.

Also, make sure you format your cards in the camera and not in a reader.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:48:10 am

Yes, I've dragged the files from the card to the top level of the drive, and have formatted the card in the camera and not the computer. As of today, I went out and shot more footage, and while I can L&T from the card, files transferred across don't work...still can't figure out why.

Alf

Return to posts index

Steven Foxx
on Feb 1, 2010 at 7:08:22 am

If you figured out how to bring in MTS files into Final Cut Pro without any hassles I would love to hear how you did it. I just figured out the L&T means Log and Transfer. Now I just have to find out what that means. I have a Sony Handycam that shoots AVCHD and the files are saved as an MTS. Once I get the files into Final Cut Pro I have no problems cutting and I am pretty good at using the program. I just can't figure out how to import my files from my camera. I don't mind converting them to Quicktime files if I have to. The issue is getting them into the MAC in the first place. I know that this issue was solved when the Intel procs were introduced into MACs but I don't have the cash to buy a new MAC. Please help if you can.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Feb 2, 2010 at 7:35:40 am

Steven, I have a Panasonic HMC150. The SD card I use in it, I simply pull it out and plug it into either my Mac SD card reader, or my Windows machine (HP) and it's built in card reader. Then I copy the entire contents of the top folder of the disk (i.e. if the disk is named PROJECT1 then open it and copy the entire folder structure under that SD card icon into a folder on the machine. Do Not change anything! Then point your L&T to see the TOP folder of the entire thing, and say OK (or whatever). It then knows how to read it. Do Not drill down into it. FCP will find the files you need to transfer just fine. Worth using AVCCAM Viewer or something to rename the metadata before transfering. Hope this helps! It works fine for me (now). Transcoding on a machine like a Mac Pro with quads and enough RAM isn't much of a pain.

Alf

Return to posts index

Affi Zeng
on Jul 4, 2011 at 2:01:03 pm

I've been completely successful getting the video footage from my Sony CX-7 into my Mac Pro. The Mac is brand new, the OS is up to date, I have the newest version of Final Cut Studio installed.I like to transfer mts files to prores with mts converter for mac.
http://fastblurayripper.com/how-to-log-and-transfer-mts-fils-to-final-cut-p...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]