FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio levels on timeline ???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Burman
Audio levels on timeline ???
on Dec 28, 2009 at 12:59:37 pm

Hi All,

Hope you all had a great xmas and bring on the New Year !!!!

If any of this has been covered before please link me to the right thread ...

I have 'hopefully' a small inquiry ... I am now setting the levels to my audio on the timeline I have: Narration/ambient(background) sounds/music (soundtrack)

Narration is -7dB ... Ambient is -14dB ... Music is 17dB ... All at 48KHz

I have read that these are good levels to keep to for exporting to DVD ...

Problem is that when I monitor through my headphones the narration seems pretty quiet... Its audible but the soundtrack seems to high ... Narration is on A1 recorded from 'voice over' and music is over A6 to A10 ... Also looking at my audio meters the overall sound only seems to peak at -35dB...

Is it easy enough just to drop the soundtrack a bit more, say to 20-24dB or raise the narration.. will this be too quiet/too loud when i make the DVD ??? I've read that you must keep the audio under 0dB so will a narration of -3dB be to high ???...

One more question ... Can you export just the audio from the timeline to compressor ??? I'd hate having to re-render everything again just for changed audio ...

Thanks for your help

Dean

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: Audio levels on timeline ???
on Dec 28, 2009 at 5:29:32 pm

Sure, bump your VO track up or the music track down to whereever you need it. The key here is to get it to sound right. Once you've got that, you can control the overall dB levels using the master volume. Just keep it below 0 so it doesn't clip.

As far as recommended levels for final export, I have no answers, because it can differ based on final output needs. I set mine so nothing ever goes above -6.2, but that's because it works for my workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]