FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I convert mpegs without losing quality>

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Spiers
How can I convert mpegs without losing quality>
on Dec 27, 2009 at 11:13:44 pm

Hi Guys

Ok, to start, I have a MAC OS X 10.4.11/ Final Cut Pro 5/ new 1TB external hard-drive/ from UK

So, I am new to FCP and not very tech savvy. Please be gentle with me....

Basically, I have some video files I would like to edit on FCP. They are MPEG2 files on my computer (I don't have access to the camera anymore). I realise that you can't edit MPEGS on FCP so I need to convert them to an appropriate format.

I have tried to convert them to something usable by using 'Mpeg streamclip' but it says I have to install (and pay for) the 'MPEG-2 playback component' to convert MPEG2s. I have therefore used iSquint to convert the MPEG2s to MP4s, which I then convert to DVCPRO50 on 'Mpeg streamclip'!

This worked, BUT, the quality is really compromised. The DVPRO50 video is less sharp and the colours are drained in comparison to the original MPEG2 vids. Considering the camera I used was quite bad in the first place, I really can't afford to lose any picture quality. SO, is there any way I can convert the MPEG2 video clips to a usable format that I can edit on FCP without compromising the quality?

sorry it's long-winded but I wanted to include all the information!!

Many thanks

Nick

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: How can I convert mpegs without losing quality>
on Jan 9, 2010 at 10:27:30 pm

That's an odd error as I believe the MPEG-2 playback component is installed with FCP, but maybe not with FCP 5. Have you tried using Compressor to convert? If not, try it and make sure Frame Controls are on and the quality settings are set to best.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]