FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 720P60 to NTSC SD @ 30 fps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kip McDowell
Converting 720P60 to NTSC SD @ 30 fps
on Dec 27, 2009 at 12:56:29 am

I recorded DVCPRO HD 720P60 on my Panasonic HPX-170, at 59.94 fps. I am attempting to use these files in FCP (6.0.5) in a DVCPRO NTSC (SD) sequence. I was assuming that they would place on the timeline running at half speed, because of double the frames per second, but I was wrong. I am trying to get a very clean 50% slow motion. When I place the clips on the sequence, FCP appears to drop every other frame. When I attempt to set speed to 50%, it does not get better, it looks like it's running at 15 fps. How can I convert the 60 fps to run at 30 fps and get a nice 50% slow motion?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Converting 720P60 to NTSC SD @ 30 fps
on Dec 27, 2009 at 4:12:19 am

[Kip McDowell] "I recorded DVCPRO HD 720P60 on my Panasonic HPX-170, at 59.94 fps. I am attempting to use these files in FCP (6.0.5) in a DVCPRO NTSC (SD) sequence. I was assuming that they would place on the timeline running at half speed, because of double the frames per second, but I was wrong."

That's correct. 720p/59.94 equals SD 29.97. They are the same frame rate because 60 progressive frames turns into 60 interlaced fields in SD, or 29.97 frames per second.

[Kip McDowell] "How can I convert the 60 fps to run at 30 fps and get a nice 50% slow motion?"

Put the 60p material into a 720/24 timeline first. You should see nice slo mo.

Or use the Optical Flow filter in Motion.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]