FORUMS: list search recent posts

Express is no Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nader Shidfar
Express is no Pro?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:25:06 pm

So I did a little research on FCP VS FCE and though there are some major differences between them in terms of content, I was wondering if anyone knew whether the actual quality of the video's exported we different from its $999.99 older brother?

ALSO

I just recently got express and I was using iMovie for all other projects (dont shun me). In any case, I made 2 movies both over an hour and a half long and after 8 months total editing (for a school project) it would not work after I exported it. What I mean is that the audio bled and was not where it was supposed to be at some parts.

Did anyone else have this problem? It seems that it only happens when you put a lot of edits in iMovie as I exported a 2 hour show w/o any edits and it works flawlessly.

I was just worried that it was my camera for a while (Canon HV20)

A little background before you rip me apart: I am just starting in film so I dont have *thousands* of dollars to spend. Yet...

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Express is no Pro?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:03:15 pm

Quality is the same if you use HDV or DV as those are the main formats of FCE.

Not sure about your iMovie issue and audio drift. Are you talking about a tape playback out of synch or an iMovie timeline playing out of synch? Or a rendered QuickTime playing back on your computer?

Can you be more clear about this?

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Nader Shidfar
on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:52:37 pm

The movie I make works fine IN iMovie, but when I export it to anything be it quicktime or whatever, the audio, as you say, drifts.

I don't know how much clearer I can be really. When I play it through iMovie it works OK but right when it gets exported and goes onto my desktop, the audio suddenly decides to not work.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Dec 19, 2009 at 1:42:00 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Quality is the same if you use HDV or DV as those are the main formats of FCE"

Those are actually the ONLY types of video that FCE will edit. And a little more specific about HDV FCE ONLY can use it when it is captured in the Apple Intermediate Codec.

As for quality. The formats that FCE can edit are definitely not he best formats if you are adding graphics to your video. FCP can use much better formats such as ProRes that preserve quality much better.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 21, 2009 at 2:55:53 am

Things have changed a wee bit in that FCE 4 now has a Log and Transfer utility for capturing AVCHD footage. So, that's pretty cool. ProRes formats only come with FCP.

As far as the synch issue: I think your drives may be too slow or need repair. Can you tell us more about the drive that is playing back the movie? Or are you playing the movie from the Mac HD?

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]