FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality Loss when importing from motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Benton
Quality Loss when importing from motion
on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:05:24 am

I'm working on a project where I am importing graphics created in Motion. There seems to be a rather large drop in quality when I try to add a .motn graphic onto the timeline. Basically, the canvas shows a lower quality graphic than the viewer window which shows a lower quality graphic than the original in motion. When I say quality loss, I mean that smaller text begins to get artifacts around the edges. The project settings are identical for both motion and FCP, except that the FCP sequence is set to ProRes 422(HQ), while the browser reads the motion sequence as "motion codec decompressor." What is causing this quality loss?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Quality Loss when importing from motion
on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:15:35 pm

Hi John,
make sure that in the FC User Preferences> Render Control, you have checked "Best Quality" for rendering Motion stuff.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 18, 2009 at 6:42:38 pm

How are you monitoring? Are you judging quality in the FCP canvas?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 18, 2009 at 9:49:16 pm

I am full of guesses today, somebody show me a mason jar full of jelly beans... anyway, i used to have Motion projects look bad and it turned out I was needlessley re-rendering on import.

Return to posts index

John Benton
on Dec 18, 2009 at 11:50:20 pm

Initially, I use the canvas to judge quality. If it is not to my liking, I like to render out stuff in compressor using ProRes. Both the canvas and the render look identical.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]