FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Workflow- what to do with the original files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Peister
P2 Workflow- what to do with the original files?
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:17:48 pm

After I have imported a set of P2 files from a shoot, I'm wondering if the original files have any value. Which is to say, should I back up the original P2 file to a separate drive or just back up the imported quicktime files from FCP? Thoughts?

Geek/Nerd
Mac Pro 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB RAM, 3Gig internal Raid

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Workflow- what to do with the original files?
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:28:08 pm

[Darren Peister] "After I have imported a set of P2 files from a shoot, I'm wondering if the original files have any value."

Same value as the tapes you shoot when you shoot with a tape based camera. You don't just throw those away do you? Please tell me you don't.

ARCHIVE these. They are your tape masters. Put them on a hard drive, shelf it. Internal SATA drives are cheap. $89 for 1TB. YOu can fit a LOT on that. Get two...redundant backup.

[Darren Peister] "should I back up the original P2 file to a separate drive or just back up the imported quicktime files from FCP?"

Original files. The imported QTs will ONLY be visible on systems with FCP installed. What if you suddenly find yourself at an Avid, or selling the footage as stock to someone on another system?

Do you archive your captured footage from tape and throw out the tapes? Remember...these are your MASTER tapes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]