FORUMS: list search recent posts

From PCs/Avid/Premiere to Mac/FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Orr
From PCs/Avid/Premiere to Mac/FCP
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:11:47 pm

I am in the unique position to possibly get my hands on a new Mac Pro, with a Matrox MXO2, Adobe Photoshop, and FCP7. Thing is, I've always been a PC user, and I'm fluent in Premeir and Avid NLEs.

I'd like to know possibly from ppl with first hand experience of going from PC to Mac. Specifically, editing stuff for Broadcast television stuff. Well...for what I do, it'll always end up on DVDs for my freelancing clients.

Honestly, I'm just leery enough to be cautious about the move, but on the other hand, I would love to learn a new NLE and have some experience with it.

I'm sure I can also find this out myself, but what are some real good resources when it comes to beginners with FCP7?

Thanks!
Ryan~

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: From PCs/Avid/Premiere to Mac/FCP
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:46:27 pm

I of course am partial to my Final Cut training DVDs. There is however a Peachpit book written by Diana Weynand specifically for Avid editors making the transition to FCP.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Final-Editors/dp/0321515390/ref=sr...

It may be a little out of date as I don't think it's been updated for the current version yet.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:01:21 pm

See what I mean, Tom was sitting by just waiting to point you in a good direction...

Tom has been around the FCP block a few times. He's probably helped thousands of people learn FCP from scratch.

So, join the crowd. You can't get started until you take the first step.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:55:35 pm

Ryan,

We've all been in that position. FCP has not been around since the beginning of time, so almost everyone has learned it after learning something else. And, since Apple constitutes only 3% of the computer marketplace, sheer numbers would indicate that most of us have come from the Microsoft world. I did so five years ago and you see my head up at the top of both this and the FCP Forum, so making the switch is not that big deal if you already know what you're doing in the world of post.

This is the place to learn... Just make sure to acquire the right hardware first, then go for it. We'll point you in the right direction toward the good tutorials and somebody will always be here to provide help when you need it.

BTW, you'll find that working on a Mac is a breeze compared to the alternative.

Now let me ask you a question... What made you select Matrox MXO2 over something such as a Kona LHi?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:32:15 am

David & Tom, thanks for the words of encouragement. I do tend to believe that once you know the basics of NLE editing, you can go and learn another without too many hiccups. My old video professor said the same thing and it was true when I went from Premiere to Avid. So really, I don't think I'm stressing so much if I can learn FCP...but more so about switching to a completely unfamiliar OS and hunk of hardware. I like to think I'm ahead of the game when it comes to being computer literate, so I'm hopeful. It's also about how much time I can afford to sit down and learn the program as good as I can before I can take on serious projects. Kinda like...how much runway a plane will need to take off before it ends and everything crashes. On a side note, one small reason why going Mac/FCP would be a good thing is the new line of JVC cameras records in file format that can be edited naively in FCP, and that's a BIG deal.

David, I chose the MXO2 over the Kona LHi because of the really good review Jerry Hofmann had written not too long ago. Honestly, any real good hands on experience would make my decision, but I just don't have a chance to do that. I have to make my decision on the plethora of reviews on the web. Unless...someone has a convincing argument that the Kona is best, I'm kinda sold on the MXO2 for now.

BTW, I love Creative Cow.
Ryan~

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:50:09 am

[Ryan Orr] "Unless...someone has a convincing argument that the Kona is best, I'm kinda sold on the MXO2 for now. "

Well, I don't want to start a war with our neighbors to the north, but AJA is an American company that has been the the industry leader for years, and AJA has ten times the experience on the Mac side that Matrox has. I'm not saying that Matrox doesn't make good hardware, I'm just saying that there isn't a company in this business with the reputation for quality and service that AJA has.

That by the way is my completely unsolicited and objective argument that you would find is supported by very many Cow leaders who rely on AJA every day.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Dec 11, 2009 at 4:26:32 pm

See, this is why I love the Cow so much.

*Edit - My bad for not originally mentioning that I could be on either a Mac Book Pro or a Mac Pro...my bad*

Looking at the two companies (Matrox and AJA) I'd say my only way of deciding is from user experience. They both have products that will work with towers and laptops (unsure if my editing computer will be an Mac Pro, or Mac Book Pro (for mobile reasons)). My biggest beef with specifically the AJA LHi is inherently it doesn't have that ability to be mobile or easily switchable between two systems. In fact, I look at all of the products for Matrox, and all of them (aside the rack mount-able one) are mobil-ish.

But this is neither here or there. I just have to decided on the solution that's right for me. An interesting dilemma.

Thanks David!
Ryan~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]