FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very basic!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Very basic!
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:59:50 pm

Ok This is the basic forum and nothing can get more basic than this one.

I'm switching from a PC video editor to FCP. I took an AVI and used sorenson squeeze to create a high quality quicktime of it.

I bring it into FCP and the video plays, I see the audio meters moving, but I hear no sound. I take it into soundtrack pro and hear the audio AND see the QT.

Why did I not hear it in FCP timeline?

Now the red line was across the track saying it needed rendering on my dual core IMAC.

What's next? How can I play it and hear it?
Thanks

Larry

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Very basic!
on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:07:24 pm

Hi larry,
Squeeze is a compression application and the formats that exports are not for editing but for delivering.
If the audio doesn't sounds is because FC can not read it.
In the FC Help you have all the formats that FC can ingest without problems.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:27:23 pm

[Larry Watts] "I'm switching from a PC video editor to FCP. I took an AVI and used sorenson squeeze to create a high quality quicktime of it. "

Larry,

This isn't rocket science, but it is science non the less, and it demands precision, not guesswork. Quicktimes come in a very wide variety of codecs, formats, and framerates, and in order to be successful, you must be able to determine precisely what type of video file you're dealing with or what type of file you have created. The following two methods of evaluating files are essential to your future with FCP.

1) Open a video file in Quicktime Player. Now, click on the Window menu and click on Show Movie Inspector. You will see a HUD (heads up display) appear that will tell you exactly what the properties of that video file are, including: the format (codec and size), FPS (the framerate), and every other conceivable bit of information necessary to make informed decisions about what that file is and what you need to do with it.

2) Inside FCP the same information is available in the browser. If you highlight a clip in the browser and scroll right and start reading all the columns you will again see all the information necessary about that video file.

Now that you know these two methods you can communicate this info to us when asking for help and we can then interpret the information for you and actually help you to understand what it means. Without that info we are all simply guessing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:21:40 pm

Thanks! The same holds true in the PC world, I just need to translate the knowledge over to FCP and macs.

Here's the basic specs:

Format: Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor, 640 x 360, Millions+
AAC, Stereo, 44.100 kHz

data rate 1,734.31 kbit/s

FPS:29.97

I chose a standard Sorenson preset and need to make one for 720x480 anamorphic but I don't think that should affect audio.

So I'm still puzzled why the pro audio part of FCP studio played the audio fine, but the main FCP program didn't even though the meters were indicating that audio was playing.

Further thoughts?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:36:45 pm

[Larry Watts] "Thanks! The same holds true in the PC world, I just need to translate the knowledge over to FCP and macs. "

No sweat, we've all been there...

[Larry Watts] "So I'm still puzzled why the pro audio part of FCP studio played the audio fine, but the main FCP program didn't even though the meters were indicating that audio was playing.
"

As Rafael mentioned, Sorenson 3 is a delivery codec, not an editing codec. And, AC3 is also recognized in FCP as an editing codec for audio. And finally, 48khz audio is native in FCP. While 44.1khz is recognized, for editing you should bring most audio in at 48khz.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:51:48 am

[David Roth Weiss] " And, AC3 is also recognized in FCP as an editing codec for audio"
Hi David,
Now FC can deal with AC3, but is necessary the "AC3 Component for MacOSX".
I've got it but don't remember from where I download it. I guess that in the Apple web site will be available.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Also, I forgot to mention...
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:43:27 pm

In the future Larry, if you intend to reedit, I would advise that you bring the AVI from Windows over to the Mac side and use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to ProRes with 48khz audio.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
Re: Also, I forgot to mention...
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:07:59 pm

Ok! Now we are cooking!

What I need to do is bring in PC created AVI's over to the mac to do brief edits, but also to ad closed captioning which I understand FCP handles within the project.

This way I can print to tape with captions and do not need to go through our captioning hardware.
I also an make DVD's with captioning this way also.

I just did not know how to get the AVI into a mac ready piece of media.

thanks!

Larry

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:19:30 pm

It's all gonna be second nature to you soon enough.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:26:56 pm

I'm getting close. I headed to compressor looking for MPEG Streamclip.

I found recompress with apple pro res 4.2.2.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:43:40 pm

Streamclip is a free app not something in FCS.

I'm with a client now. Go back a few days to my earlier post to you about Compressor... There's a ProRes preset in Compressor that automatically senses the format of the source and creates a ProRes that matches. I told you where to find it in the earlier post.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:04:44 pm

Thank You again, David.

I'm getting results. With audio.

I may have missed something here, but I have to ask.

Compressor does the job with the presets you mentioned.

Streamclips also does the job.

So is there a reason to use one program in one situation and one program in another?

I suppose I could use streamclips on a PC and batch transcode a folder full of AVI's.

Is there a quality difference? The transcode time seemed about the same.

Thanks

Larry

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:25:55 am

I honestly have not done a side by side comparison Larry. I just do it and look for another if things don't work. So far both seem to do an acceptable job.

I don't think you'll be able to transcode to ProRes on the Windows side BTW. As far as I know, you can only playback/decode ProRes on a Windows machine, you can't write to it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]