FORUMS: list search recent posts

13" Macbook Pro vs 21.5" iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Nye
13" Macbook Pro vs 21.5" iMac
on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:24:09 pm

I am a freelance video editor and I am upgrading to a new computer but only have about a grand to spare. Based on these two choices 13-inch MacBook Pro/2.26GHz or 21.5-inch iMac Core 2 Duo/3.06GHz (Nvidia graphics) which would you recommend? I would be working on projects from home were the client either supplies the digitzed media or I capture it on my external firewire drive with their video equipment. Your advice is greatly appreciated. FYI: I currently own a 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 which I would keep to for email and internet.

Thanks,
Shane

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: 13" Macbook Pro vs 21.5" iMac
on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:45:40 am

In my opinion nether of the two.

The 13" MBP has a poor video card for video editing. If you want a portable then look at the 15" with the 512 video card.

The 21.5" iMac again has a poor video card video editing. The 27" with the quad core processer and 512 video card would be much better.

Just my opinion.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Ray Jones
on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:45:19 am

I do photography my son does video. We switched from a dual 1.87Ghz G4 to a 2.8Ghz iMac about 6 months ago. I'm still running 10.5 but I doubt if 10.6 would change my view.

I totally agree with the first response, neither. The iMac is slow. Pay no attention to benchmarks tests. My iMac tests consistent with all the others, as does my old G4. Doing batch runs on the G4 takes a fraction (10% to 20%) of the time the iMac takes. For some jobs, the iMac is still spinning its ball while the G4 has completed the job. My son confirms its slow on video. A friend who does pro video also switched to the same iMac I have. He now stays at the production studio and does his editing on a Mac Pro (prior to that he was in Windows land). The issue we have is HD. The G4 can't handle some (if not all, don't know) HD without a lot of screwing around, so the iMac stays.

On the positive side, less heat, less noise, less space and I love the screen. Surprisingly, I get less eye strain on the glossy although I do run Shades to turn down the brightness.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:17:44 pm

Shane,
Without hesitation the iMac.
The main problem of the iMac is the lack of possibilities of upgrading.
But with the MBP you are in the same case, and in top of that you have less CPU.
All this without talking about the Screen. You can't work in a 13" screen.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]