FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer to run Final Cut Studio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Moyer
Computer to run Final Cut Studio
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:08:34 pm

I've been doing most of my video editing for the last year or so in Sony Vegas on a PC. I'm looking to get into it a bit more seriously and want to make the switch to Final Cut Studio.

Can I run it on a Macbook Pro? Can I run it WELL on a Macbook Pro? Currently I'm running Sony Vegas on a PC with a Q9350 quad-core CPU, 4gb ram, and an 8800GT graphics card, and I'm not fully satisfied with the way it runs (encoding times are fine, but it's difficult to preview within the software with any semi-complex effects added). What should I be looking for in terms of processing speed and whatnot here? Could I get away with the 13 or 15 inch Macbook pros and still run things well?

Hard drive size is not an issue, as everything will be archived to a server.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Computer to run Final Cut Studio
on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:03:31 pm

Ryan,

Of course, if you're working with uncompressed HD, 2K, or 4K files, a MacBook Pro is not going to swing it for you, but for the compressed HD formats MacBook Pros work very well. However, the problem with MacBook Pro and the new iMacs as well is not about their power, it's that they have issues with expandability and connectivity. Neither have the ability to add cards that will allow connections to a SATA raid, and both are very limited by only having firewire 800 capability in terms of the I/O devices they can utilize for proper monitoring and input/output to tape. This is certainly a strong case for a MacPro over MacBook Pro and iMac.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

matt love
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:27:00 pm

First off I'm new to this forum and just would like to say hello to all. I have been educated a ton just by reading threads.

David you state that Macbook pros arent able to handle uncompressed video , is there anything you can do to the macbooks as far as settings or new upgrades that will change it uncompressed HD issues.

I'm in the same boat as Ryan, looking to get a macbook pro and FC . I'm really interested and hungery to learn motion and color , and dont want many limitations with my computer while doing so... thanks and glad to be apart of this community, Matt

Matt

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:12:12 pm

[matt love] "is there anything you can do to the macbooks as far as settings or new upgrades that will change it uncompressed HD issues. "

Matt,

The answer is simple, since Apple has taken away the Express Slot from all of its newest MacBook Pros, there is no longer a solution for attaching a SATA raid to Apple laptops, and SATA raids are really the only storage devices that will provide enough throughput for uncompressed HD. ProRes and DVCProHD require much less throughput and those are the alternatives, as they can easily run off of firewire 800 drives.

Got it?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:51:19 pm

well I think you need to evaluate your needs better. an 8 core tower is going to be faster then a 2 core notebook, period, especially for HD. its not like I haven't cut HD on macbook pro's or even older G4's. it works but its not the same.

an new imac with a i7 quadcore is an interesting option too as a portablish machine. for getting video out of any of these machines lacking a PCIe power, you can use a MXO on the 2nd monitor port to get real video out for monitors, decks, ect.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 1, 2009 at 12:30:20 am

[Steve Oakley] "portablish"

Is that word in the dictionary yet? I love it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

matt love
on Dec 1, 2009 at 12:01:15 am

Yes I think I got it , Thanks for the input. I'm new to alot of the technical terminolgy ( coming from a news background) , but I'm picking it up thanks to google.

At the moment my need is to be able to dive into FCS 3 , I have no experience with it,and I really want to better my skillset with the programs FCS offers. A macbook pro is the only option in my budget . So I'm curious if I will be able to experiment with all FCS has to offer ? I understand its a vague ? Im just trying to get as much feedback I can . Thanks so much , This is a great forum for a annoying newbie like me ,

Matt

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:29:56 pm

For the foreseeable future, most of my work will be in SD or compressed HD, so how much would I lose going with a Macbook Pro over a Mac Pro for editing this kind of source material?

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:42:50 am

I'm currently cutting FCP 6 on an older 15.4 inch Mac book Pro. Pre-Unibody. It has the Express slot, although I haven't needed it. Running FCP 6. whatever just fine. although all work has been so far in SD and 720P off of the Panazonic HMC-150.

I thought the Unibody 17 inch still had the express card slot, as well as Firewire. I think (could be wrong) there were two versions of the unibody 15 inch, one had the express card slot, but now itseems only an SD card slot (but at least all seem to have firewire 800 - just checked the apple store.)

There is apparently an interest in refurbed pre-unibody mac book pros that have the express card slot.

I'm looking at the 27 inch imac at the end of the year, depending on my tax situation. Want the MacPro, but can't affordit yet,and don't think I need it for my current work - those new Prores codecs look tremendous. My one suggestion after cutting only a few months with Final cut - Pick up a two button USB mouse, it is just so much better than without.

Hope this helps.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:51:03 pm

For the foreseeable future, most of my work will be in SD or compressed HD, so how much would I lose going with a Macbook Pro over a Mac Pro for editing this kind of source material?

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:21:00 pm

Just a thought: the 17 inch MBP model still offers an expresscard/34 slot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]