FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime export from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Hubp
Quicktime export from FCP
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:00:48 pm

Export my finished FCP/HD film to Quicktime. .mov file is big:9.02 GB and beautiful. But, won't play on other machines. Say a codec is missing. When I install FCP on "other" machine it plays. So codec is in FCP install. What codec is it? And how do I make a Quicktime .mov that will play for anyone who has a Quicktime player.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Quicktime export from FCP
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:40:03 pm

Use that large QT file with Compressor and encode an H.264 movie. Besides QT player, H.264 will also play from Flash Player. Your choice of data rate will affect the final size of the file. Make a short 1-minute test clip from a portion of your film with the most action. Then experiment with different data rates. Find the smallest data rate that still looks good. You can multiply the size of that 1-minute file times the length of your movie to get the final file size. If it's too big, choose a smaller frame size and lower the data rate some more. Smaller frame size needs less data to look good. A note to increase quality - turn on Frame Controls in Compressor's Inspector and choose Best quality for scaling. However, this will increase encoding time.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
Re: Quicktime export from FCP
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:45:49 pm

your exported mov is most likely ProRes or DVCproHD. if you open it in QT movie player and hit command I you can see what codec it is.

if you turn out a lot of stuff, a matrox compressHD or MXO2+MAX can really speed h.264 compression along by quite a bit, as in faster then real time. that includes flash and youTube versions via compressor or export thru QT movieplayer or FCp QT conversion. worth a look.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]