FORUMS: list search recent posts

Radeon 4870

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Witcher
Radeon 4870
on Nov 27, 2009 at 12:35:03 pm

Hi Chaps,

I have a Radeon 4870 card in my MacPro and I have my VDU plugged into the little port. For checking the final edit I was looking at connecting a HD TV to the DVI port via a adaptor i.e DVI/HDMI then HDMI into the TV. Would this work? and me give full HD? The TV would be 1080p.

Thanks Paul

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Radeon 4870
on Nov 27, 2009 at 12:53:15 pm

Sure should work.
Just connecting the HDMI the video card should recognize the new monitor. If not: Detect Display (in the displays preferences).
Cheers
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:21:15 pm

[Paul Witcher] "For checking the final edit I was looking at connecting a HD TV to the DVI port via a adaptor i.e DVI/HDMI then HDMI into the TV. Would this work? and me give full HD? The TV would be 1080p."

Yes this will work BUT, know that the graphics card is "cleaning up" the image through Dithering, de-blocking, noise reduction and de-interlacing. What this means is you won't be seeing the true image quality and issues that might be present in your video, such as noise, banding and such, will not be visible via that DVI feed.

I've been researching this quite a bit as I was planning to use the 27" iMacs to feed FSI 1770W monitors in four new edit suites. But now we're rethinking this plan because we won't see a true reference image.

Especially if your work is going to broadcast or independent feature projection, you really want a true video signal to your monitor. If you're using a Mac Pro, look at the AJA Kona LHi as an excellent card to feed your monitor or the Matrox MXO2.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:51:31 pm

[walter biscardi] "I've been researching this quite a bit as I was planning to use the 27" iMacs to feed FSI 1770W monitors in four new edit suites."
The iMac with an FSI. Nice rig Walter.
You don't get full quality with the MatroxMXO?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:57:48 pm

[Rafael Amador] "The iMac with an FSI. Nice rig Walter."

Most likely not going to happen now that we've found this out. The folks at FSI have been working with me on figuring all this out. They were the ones who brought up all the "cleaning up" specs, which are listed right on Apple's and ATI's sites.

[Rafael Amador] "You don't get full quality with the MatroxMXO?"

I've been wondering about that too since it's getting the feed from the graphics card which has already "cleaned up" the image before it gets to the MXO. I posed that question in another thread and will have to ask the folks at Matrox how they get around this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Paul Witcher
on Nov 27, 2009 at 2:43:23 pm

Thanks guys, I will take your advice and check it out.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]