FORUMS: list search recent posts

25 gig ProRes 422 (HQ) to youtube yeah yeah heard it before right..?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Naugle
25 gig ProRes 422 (HQ) to youtube yeah yeah heard it before right..?
on Nov 26, 2009 at 3:33:00 am

25 gig ProRes 422 (HQ) to youtube yeah yeah heard it before right...
simple request of needing a 17 minute 1280 x 720 youtube H.264 3 days later.

I was handed a 25 GB ProRez 422 (HQ) file 1920x1080 with sound - one fat clip.
I have been processing it a hundred ways but feel like I'm really missing an essential step in my workflow for FCP.

I had to run a simple non-keyframed 3 Color correction on the clip which turned the render bar Orange as expected.

I tried exporting (out of FCP) "using Quicktime conversion" that also estimated a wait time of 7 hours which grew exponentially at the 2nd hour. Also Did a In / Out test of 4 seconds and took 5 minutes.

I then tried exporting (out of FCP) using compressor. Found out that takes a ridiculous amount of time.

So the consensus here is create a master file and drop THAT into compressor right? okay, do I need to export out a "self-contained" proRes 422 that will also be 25 gigs (will take 5 hours)? Or can I export using a codec and size that's a little more manageable than the 25 gigs to drop into compressor?

You dont even have to answer my post if you want just email a link or cuss words naugler [at] gmail

I thought the future was here? DV was getting fast?

Machine specs: right now I'm home because I've burned all 2 days at work
HOME: Non Intel 2 GHz with 4 GB RAM -- ye olde machine
WORK: 2.6 2Xcore 8GB RAM

-Broken Dave
Sorry for the possible cross-post but I just read the admin policy change about "Pro-Related" content and I am by no means pro yo.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 25 gig ProRes 422 (HQ) to youtube yeah yeah heard it before right..?
on Nov 26, 2009 at 4:41:45 am

[David Naugle] "So the consensus here is create a master file and drop THAT into compressor right? okay, do I need to export out a "self-contained" proRes 422 that will also be 25 gigs (will take 5 hours)? Or can I export using a codec and size that's a little more manageable than the 25 gigs to drop into compressor?"
The codec you export with won't change much the rendering time (except if you are exporting to MPEG-2 or so, that will increase it).

Yes export a self contained movie and import to Compressor.
The problem of sending directly from FC, is that even the sequence have been fully rendered, it will be renderd again.

Think that with a Double Pass compression your movie will be rendered twice, and if you are doing H264 Multipass, your picture is renderd THREE TIMES.
So: Selfcontained.

[David Naugle] "Sorry for the possible cross-post but I just read the admin policy change about "Pro-Related" content and I am by no means pro yo. "
is not a matter of "Administrators Policy", is a real need to organize the Forum a little bit.
With some 200 post a day some times it gets a bit difficult to know where you are.
best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Naugle
on Nov 26, 2009 at 1:08:36 pm

Thanks Rafael! I think I did read about rendering twice if exporting from FC from your post a few weeks ago.

My render was ready with coffee this morning (8 hours)

Here's what I did:
With my 25 GB clip in my sequence I exported a self-contained after my color correction to a self-contained .mov / proRez 422 size: 15GB, 1 hour
Dropped that into compressor using:
H.264, 50% (960x540) and 3000kbps, hinted for quicktime streaming.
Uploading to youtube now.

8 hours on my non-intel home machine.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:29:56 am

[David Naugle] "Dropped that into compressor using:
H.264, 50% (960x540) and 3000kbps, hinted for quicktime streaming.
Uploading to youtube now. "

When you set the H264, set 100% Quality. You are already limiting the data-rate (3.000Kbps).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Naugle
on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:33:39 pm

No kidding? So I can just limiting and slide to 100%? That's great.

Return to posts index

Adriano Castaldini
on Jul 24, 2010 at 12:04:13 am

Sorry Guys, 2 question:

1. I read Rafael saying
"Yes export a self contained movie and import to Compressor.
The problem of sending directly from FC, is that even the sequence have been fully rendered, it will be renderd again."
I'm not sure if I understand... I have a sequence in FC6, with my edits cuts etc. And I want to render it as prores. If I understand right, I have to render the sequence with "quicktime conversion" and NOT with compressor because compressor does two renders? Is it so?

2. I want to upload the obtained movie in youtube. Could I upload directly the prores? Or I have to convert the prores into something else? If so, which is the best setting (for audio and video quality) I can use to upload the movie?
P.S. I need perfect sync between audio and video

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Nov 26, 2009 at 12:40:08 pm

Rafael's right - but you should also know that a non-intel machine will struggle with ProRes footage. I'd also do a render in the timeline before exporting the self contained QT movie, it always seems quicker to me - although I've never scientifically tested this.

Once in compressor, make sure you change the settings in the scaling tab to faster, as you are making 720 for Youtube, and don't need Compressor's full attention for this. It will make a big difference.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

David Naugle
on Nov 26, 2009 at 1:21:55 pm

Thanks Ben,
Did not know about rendering the sequence before exporting a self-contained. Have gotten mixed messages on that. I thought it's basically rendering (again) when exporting a self-contained movie (not checking the recompress box)
As for scaling I reduce by 50% which saved me some time (only 8 hours to render last night)
As I replied in Rafael's post I exported a self-contained then dropped into compressor. Gave me a 400mg H.264 which I'm uploading to youtube now.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 26, 2009 at 5:44:40 pm

[David Naugle] "7 minute 1280 x 720 youtube"

Just a heads up YouTube has a 10 min time limit to videos.

http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=71673&ctx=sibl...

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Dec 28, 2010 at 11:46:43 pm

YouTube just removed the 15 minute limit for good citizens!!! - http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/12/up-up-and-away-long-videos-for-m...

Still doesn't let you upload a ProRes clip to YouTube but it is awesome nonetheless! Along with ProRes uploads I want to see the ability to pay money to both browse YouTube without ads and also be able to pay to have an ad-free channel!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]