FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressed file too big...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Cohn
Compressed file too big...
on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:13:35 pm

Hi,

I recently output a sequence from FCP using Compressor. The duration of the sequence is 1:57:35:06, the settings, 960x720, DVCPRO HD 720p60. I wanted to compress it for output to DVD and I used the DVD: Fastest Encode 120 minutes setting with MPEG-2 for 120 minutes. However, the compressed file came out close to 5 GB, surpassing the 4.7 GB availability of the DVD. I would very much appreciate it if somebody could let me know what I did wrong during compression for the file to come out larger than I thought it was going to be, and what I need to know in order to correct this. Please let me know if you need any more information in order to address this.

Thanks so much!
Matt

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: Compressed file too big...
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:26:15 pm

Re-encode using the 150 min. preset, or manually adjust the export settings yourself. Remember, you'll have to also factor in the size of the audio file too, as well as any potential menus on the DVD, to make everything fit on one single layer disk. I'd try to keep it under 4.3 gigs.

Return to posts index

Matt Cohn
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:33:51 pm

Dennis,

Re-encoding to 150 min. seems counter-intuitive to me. I'm not doubting what you're saying, it just seems that encoding to 90 min. would make the file smaller, while 150 min. would create a larger file. Could you let me know why it is not this way, or direct me to a source that explains it?

Thanks again,
Matt

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:51:03 pm

The parameter that directly affects file size on a DVD is the data rate. So, if your data rate is 4mbps (million bits per sec), in 1 minute you'd have 60 x 4 million bits of data. If the data rate is 8mbps then you have twice as much data. The way the Compressor presets work (and you can see this if you dig into the Inspector), if you want to put 150 minutes of video in the same space as 120 minutes you have to lower the data rate. If you look at the Inspector you'll see that Compressor allots 5mbps for the 120 min preset and 3.7mbps (lower) for the 150 min preset.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Nicole Haddock
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:43:21 pm

Also, in the Inspector window in Compressor on the first tab, it gives you a pretty good estimate of how big the end file will be. I use that as a reference when I'm compressing a long video to fit on a dvd. In the second tab (Encoder), hit the Quality tab and it will let you adjust your bit rate to get the file size down. Flip back and forth to the Summary tab until you hit a compromise that will work.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:08:07 pm

And be sure to make your audio as an ac3, not aiff. The ac3 is 192kbps and the aiff is 1500kpbs so you save a lot of space using ac3 with virtually no difference in quality. Search for ac3 on the Cow if you're not familiar with its workflow.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Matt Cohn
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:27:17 pm

Thanks, guys! All very helpful pointers that I will put into use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]