FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames ( 7 seconds).

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrice Renucci
Dropped Frames ( 7 seconds).
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:05:26 pm

Hi everybody,

I have a FCP project which is in HDV 1080i (1440 X 1080) with a Sony HVR A1.
I'm trying to capture one of the tapes but the capture gets split up into two clips.
The timecode goes on and 7 seconds of frames are dropped without any message coming up.
I have read quite a lot of forums about dropped frames...
When I play back the tape from the camcorder the video appears to be slowing down in that area...

I should probably mention that the camcorder is plugged with a FIREWIRE 400 cable into a Lacie external hard drive. The hard drive itself is connected to a MACbook pro via Firewire 800.
The hard drive was unmounted during capture. No applications are on. Capturing onto the internal drive.

Any thoughts?

Fabrice

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
Re: Dropped Frames ( 7 seconds).
on Nov 3, 2009 at 6:05:12 pm

Fabrice

The likelyhood that your storage is too slow is very possible. It may certainly have enough of the needed bandwidth, but if the storage isn't able to read/write/ and respond fast enough, you'll experience this.

It happens a lot in Shared Environments ...

Shoot over to the SAN Forum -- There you can find more insight about storage performance etc.

Return to posts index

Hans Kellner
Re: Dropped Frames ( 7 seconds).
on Nov 3, 2009 at 7:23:04 pm

I have a similar problem with my Canon HV20. You mention seeing a problem when you play back the tape in the camera. If that's repeatable then that's probably where the capture problem is originating. My HV20 drops frames while recording (amazing Canon got away with this). During capture those locations cause skips/breaks in the capture. The pre-roll and post-roll settings also extend the missing gap.

If your camera continues to record with dropped frames then I would recommend cleaning the heads and trying again. Otherwise, not sure what else you can do if the recording is the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]